How to find local maxima and minimas of undefined functions?

In summary, the question asks for the local maxima or minima of the functions g(x) = |f(x)| and h(x) = +√f(x) in the given interval. However, since information about f(x) is not provided, it is not possible to accurately solve this problem. The only known information is that g(x) and h(x) are always greater than or equal to 0 due to the absolute value and square root functions. Therefore, any potential local maxima or minima would also have to be greater than or equal to 0. More information about the properties of f(x) is needed to solve this question accurately.
jackgartlqn
Hi,
I have been going over past papers and i found this question. Find any local maxima or local minima of the functions g(x) = |f(x)| and h(x) = +√f(x) in the interval, −∞ < x < ∞.
How Would I go about solving this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jackgartlqn said:
Hi,
I have been going over past papers and i found this question. Find any local maxima or local minima of the functions g(x) = |f(x)| and h(x) = +√f(x) in the interval, −∞ < x < ∞.

Hey jackgartlqn and welcome to the forums.

You're going to need information about f(x). You will need some kind of information to start to answer this question in any kind of detail.

We do know that g(x) >= 0 no matter what which means in terms of a potential global minima it is always going to be >= 0 and if f(x) is >= 0 then we can say the same for h(x) as well.

Other than this though, you will need some kind of specific information for f(x) or at least for the properties of f(x).

jackgartlqn said:
Hi,

But for the fact that it MUST be [itex]f(x)\geq 0\,\,\forall x\in(-\infty,\infty)[/itex] if [itex]h(x)[/itex] is well defined, you can't deduce anything at all if you're not given

some more information about [itex]f(x)[/itex] ...continuity, derivability,...?

DonAntonio

1. What is a local maximum or minimum of an undefined function?

A local maximum or minimum of an undefined function is a point on the graph where the function has the highest or lowest value within a small interval of x-values. This means that there is no clear trend or direction for the function at that specific point.

2. How do I identify local maxima and minima of an undefined function?

To identify local maxima and minima of an undefined function, you can look for points on the graph where the derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. These points are called critical points and can indicate the location of local maxima and minima.

3. Can undefined functions have multiple local maxima or minima?

Yes, undefined functions can have multiple local maxima and minima. This occurs when the function has multiple critical points within a given interval.

4. How can I use calculus to find local maxima and minima of an undefined function?

You can use the first and second derivative tests to determine if a critical point is a local maximum, local minimum, or neither. The first derivative test involves evaluating the sign of the derivative on either side of the critical point, while the second derivative test involves evaluating the concavity of the function at the critical point.

5. Are there any other methods for finding local maxima and minima of undefined functions?

Yes, there are other methods such as using a graphing calculator or plotting the function on a graph to visually identify local maxima and minima. You can also use numerical methods, such as the Newton-Raphson method, to approximate the locations of local maxima and minima.