Finding the Maximum and Minimum Values

In summary, CloudTenshi found the maximum and minimum values for 3x+3y+2z on the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1 using Lagrange multipliers.
CloudTenshi

Homework Statement

Find the maximum and minimum values of 3x+3y+2z on the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1 .

Homework Equations

Use of LaGrange Multipliers (maybe?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea if LaGrange multipliers is the way to go or not, but I took the partial derivative for x, y and z

Partial x = 3
Partial y = 3
Partial z = 2

Using LaGrange Multipliers
I then got the following equations:
3=lambda2x
3=lambda2y
2=lambda2z

Lambda being the LaGrange Multiplier I believe.

I also have the equation of the sphere or x^2+y^2+z^2=1

However, from here I had no idea where to go next. I tried to solve out the LaGrange Formulas but couldn't get a coherent answer. Am I on the right track or do I need to just forget LaGrange?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the correct track. Where specifically are you running into a problem?

I am having trouble solving out my lagrange multipliers. Like if I solve it out, I think I get lambda being 3/2 leaving x and y as 1 and z as 2/3.

CloudTenshi said:
I am having trouble solving out my lagrange multipliers. Like if I solve it out, I think I get lambda being 3/2 leaving x and y as 1 and z as 2/3.

I don't really see how you get that. Solving for x, y, and z should give you x = 3L/2, y = 3L/2, z = L. Then you can use these values in the restraint (the equation of the sphere) to solve for L.

slider142 said:
I don't really see how you get that. Solving for x, y, and z should give you x = 3L/2, y = 3L/2, z = L. Then you can use these values in the restraint (the equation of the sphere) to solve for L.

I had always thought that you were supposed to just be able to look at the equations and find lambda or what not because that's what the teacher had done, but this way actually makes sense.

So I solved out the L in the equation of the sphere and got sqrt(4/22)

Plugging it back into my equations I solved for x, y and z and got:

x= 3sqrt(22)/4
y= 3sqrt(22)/4
z= sqrt(4/22)

from here I just plug in these values into the original function to find the maximum and minimum values right?

Well, substituting back into the constraint, I get L^2=4/22=2/11. Doesn't that have more than one solution? You should probably expect to get two, since there ought to be a max and a min. There seems to be some flipping of L and 1/L going on here, which is ok, but it would be nice to stick with one. Can you show your complete solution, CloudTenshi?

I just realized I made a few typos on the last one, but after solving for the x, y, and z using the value I got for L which was the sqrt(11/2) and -sqrt(11/2). From this, I was able to get the x, y, and z values which are:

x=3/(2L) = plus or minus (3/2)(sqrt(2/11))
y=3/(2L) = plus or minus (3/2)(sqrt(2/11))
z=1/L = plus or minus (sqrt(2/11))

I then plugged the the values back into the original function to find the max, which is when everything is positive, and min which is when everything is negative.

I think I should have the right answer.

The max is 11sqrt(2/11)
and min is -11sqrt(2/11)

Yeah, I think you got it.

Thanks. I think it all became clear for me when I found out that I was supposed to solve for L and then for the x,y,z coordinates.

By the way, it is often possible to solve max-min problems, using Lagrange multipliers, without ever finding the multiplier itself! For example, you have
[itex]3=\lambda 2x[/itex], [itex]3=\lambda 2y[/itex], and [itex]2=\lambda 2z[/itex].

Dividing the second equation by the first eliminates [itex]\lambda[/itex] giving 1= y/x and dividing the third equation by the first gives 2/3= z/x so that y= x and z= (2/3)x. Put those into the equation of the sphere to solve for x, then find y and z.

1. How do you find the maximum and minimum values of a function?

To find the maximum and minimum values of a function, you can use either the first or second derivative test. The first derivative test involves finding the critical points of the function and plugging them into the first derivative to determine whether they are maximum or minimum points. The second derivative test involves finding the critical points and evaluating the second derivative at those points to determine whether they are maximum or minimum points.

2. Can you find the maximum and minimum values of a function without using calculus?

Yes, you can find the maximum and minimum values of a function without using calculus by graphing the function and visually identifying the highest and lowest points on the graph. However, this method may not always be accurate and is not applicable for more complex functions.

3. What is the difference between a local maximum/minimum and a global maximum/minimum?

A local maximum or minimum is a point where the function reaches its highest or lowest value within a specific interval, but it may not be the absolute highest or lowest point of the entire function. A global maximum or minimum is the absolute highest or lowest point of the entire function.

4. How can you use the maximum and minimum values of a function in real-world applications?

The maximum and minimum values of a function can be used in real-world applications to determine the optimal solution to a problem. For example, in economics, the maximum and minimum values of a cost function can help determine the most efficient level of production. In physics, the maximum and minimum values of a displacement function can help determine the highest and lowest points of a trajectory.

5. What is the significance of the maximum and minimum values of a function?

The maximum and minimum values of a function are important because they provide information about the behavior and characteristics of the function. They can help determine the domain and range of the function, the existence of absolute extrema, and the overall shape of the graph. In addition, they can be used to solve optimization problems and make predictions in various fields of study.