Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Mystery gas questions

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    I'm doing an experiment of the Bohr's theory and the Rydberg constant. I want to find the element of a mystery gas using the derivation of the Bohr's theory:
    1/λ=RZ^2 (1/〖n_i〗^2 -1/〖n_f〗^2 )
    I think if I have the wavelength lambda, all I need to do is guessing a right series of n_i and n_f till it gets me a straight line.
    My problem is I'm not sure that this way can actually work with any gas (Helium for example), or only work with "electron-like" atoms (Singly ionized Helium for example). And I can't find any "Singly ionized Helium spectrum" on the internet. There's only Helium spectrum...
    Could someone help me...?
    Thank you very much in advance...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2009 #2
    The spectral line energies of ionized helium are usually shown as a line of He+ (meaning ionized helium) vs. He (for unionized helium) in tables. The most dominant lines are probably 2p -> 1s (n=2 to n=1) transitions, which are about 4 x 3/4 x 13.6 eV = 40.8 eV (304 Angstroms).

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3
    Thanks ^^

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook