Finding the Mystery gas questions

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment using Bohr's theory and the Rydberg constant to determine the element of a mystery gas. The speaker plans to use the equation 1/λ=RZ^2 (1/〖n_i〗^2 -1/〖n_f〗^2 ) and guess different values of n_i and n_f to find a straight line. They are unsure if this method will work for all gases or just "electron-like" atoms. They are also having trouble finding the spectrum for "Singly ionized Helium" and are seeking help. The other person suggests looking at tables for He+ vs. He (unionized helium) and mentions the dominant transition lines.
MonsieurWise
I'm doing an experiment of the Bohr's theory and the Rydberg constant. I want to find the element of a mystery gas using the derivation of the Bohr's theory:
1/λ=RZ^2 (1/〖n_i〗^2 -1/〖n_f〗^2 )
I think if I have the wavelength lambda, all I need to do is guessing a right series of n_i and n_f till it gets me a straight line.
My problem is I'm not sure that this way can actually work with any gas (Helium for example), or only work with "electron-like" atoms (Singly ionized Helium for example). And I can't find any "Singly ionized Helium spectrum" on the internet. There's only Helium spectrum...
Could someone help me...?
Thank you very much in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
The spectral line energies of ionized helium are usually shown as a line of He+ (meaning ionized helium) vs. He (for unionized helium) in tables. The most dominant lines are probably 2p -> 1s (n=2 to n=1) transitions, which are about 4 x 3/4 x 13.6 eV = 40.8 eV (304 Angstroms).

Thanks ^^

1. What is the mystery gas and where can it be found?

The mystery gas is a gas that has not yet been identified or fully understood by scientists. It can be found in various environments such as underground caves, deep sea vents, and even in our own atmosphere.

2. How is the mystery gas different from other known gases?

The mystery gas has unique properties and characteristics that set it apart from other known gases. It may have a different molecular structure, boiling point, or reaction to other substances.

3. What are the potential uses of the mystery gas?

Scientists are still studying and researching the mystery gas to determine its potential uses. It could potentially be used as a new source of energy, in medical treatments, or in industrial processes.

4. How are scientists trying to identify and understand the mystery gas?

Scientists use various techniques and tools such as spectroscopy, gas chromatography, and mass spectrometry to analyze and study the mystery gas. They also conduct experiments to observe its behavior and reactions.

5. Are there any risks associated with studying the mystery gas?

As with any scientific research, there are potential risks involved. Scientists must take precautions and follow safety protocols when handling the mystery gas, as its effects on humans and the environment are not yet fully known.