1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the nontrivial zeros of Tan x = x

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    2dj9zxz.png

I can do the first part no problem.

I then drew the graph, am I right in saying there is an infinite sequence because the lines intersect an infinite amount of times, because tan is periodic and has vertical asymptotes?

I have no idea about showing why the first non rivial zero is bounded like that. I would have thought the trivial zero was at the origin, and the first non trivial was in the range of 0<lambda<pi/2.

What am I not understanding here?

Thanks

edit:

oh I think I'm suppose to be looking for solutions in the range of pi and 3pi/2?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

...because [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a positive number, so the first non-trivial zero of the equation will be in the next quadrant where [itex]\tan \lambda[/itex] is positive, and you're after [itex]\lambda^{2}[/itex].

[EDIT: On thinking about this a little more, we could also go in the negative direction, since [itex]\tan \lambda [/itex] and [itex] \lambda [/itex] both have odd symmetry and we're looking for solutions for [itex]\lambda^{2}[/itex]... But it is easier to think about going in the positive direction.]

BTW, I think the problem-poser means the first non-trivial zero of the function [itex](\tan \lambda ) - \lambda [/itex] ; that last statement reads a little strangely...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook