1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the normal modes for a oscillating system

1. Apr 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The system is conformed by two blocks with masses m (on the left) and M (on the right), and two springs on the left/right has the spring constant of k. The middle spring has a spring constant of 4k. Friction and air resistance can be ignored. All springs are massless.
    Find the normal modes.
    Diagram:
    |~m~~~~M~|
    2. Relevant equations
    ##L = T-V ##

##T = \frac{1}{2}(m\dot{x}_1^2 + M\dot{x}_2^2) ##
    ##V = \frac{1}{2}[(x_1^2 + x_2^2) + 4(x_1-x_2)^2]##
    ##\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{x_k}} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{\dot{x_k}}} = 0##
    ##[A_{ij} - \omega^2 m_{ij}]=0##
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried to guess a solution for the normal modes but of the for ##\eta_1 = x_1 - x_2 ## and ##\eta_2= x_1+x_2## but I does not works. I have tried to add some arbitrary coefficient to ##\eta_1## & ## \eta_2## unsuccessfully. Trying to find the eigenvectors is a pain in the neck since the eigenfrequencies are:##\omega^2 = \frac{5k(M+m) \pm k\sqrt{25(M^2+m^2) -14Mm}}{2Mm}##.
    I read in a textbook that one could find the coefficient for the etas by knowing that the ratios ##\frac{M_{11}}{M_{22}}=\frac{A_{11}}{A_{22}}=\alpha^2## but for this case the first ratio is ##\frac{m}{M}## and the second is 1 .Therefore, this method doesn't help me :/.

I would appreciate any contribution. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2015 #2
    Do you have to solve this problem using the Lagrangian?

4. Apr 22, 2015 #3
    The Lagragian is not necessary, but is the only method I know. I believe that if I use forces the problem would complicate more.

5. Apr 22, 2015 #4
    I think the force method is easier but the results are the same.

I get a slightly different answer for the Eigen values but even then I think you could probably simplify it a little bit:
    ω2 = k(1/M+1/m) [5/2± √(25/4+16/(M/m+m/M+2))]

I am not aware of any other method except plugging the Eigen values into the equations of motion and solving for the mode shapes.

6. Apr 22, 2015 #5
    Duplicate post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted