1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the optical power of a contact lens

1. Mar 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A farsighted man uses eyeglasses with a refractive power of 2.05 diopters. Wearing the glasses 0.020 m from his eyes, he is able to read books held no closer than 0.265 m from his eyes. He would like a prescription for contact lenses to serve the same purpose. What is the correct contact lens prescription, in diopters?

2. Relevant equations
    1/do+1/di=1/f

3. The attempt at a solution

The image formed when wearing eyeglasses is 0.265-0.020 = 0.245 and this has to be negative because the man is using convex lenses, so d/i = -0.245 with eyeglasses. Next, I found the the object distance when wearing eyeglasses by using the formula 1/do+1/di=1/f and it turned out to be 0.163 the fact that it's positive makes sense because the object is placed in front of the lens. Now because the questions asks to find the power of the contact lenses the distance of the object when using contacts increases by 0.020m so do with lenses equals 0.183m. Finally I plugged everything into 1/do+1/di=1/f and got +1.38 diopters.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2017 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The 0.265 m distance is to the book, which is the object, not the image (for the glasses anyway)!
    So what you are calculating for the glasses is the image distance produced by the glasses, which I get a different answer for, so please show your steps to that value so that we are on the same page.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted