Finding the period of an object moving in horizontal circle

Tan^2 = (1-cos^2)/cos^2tan = sqrt((1-cos^2)/cos^2)tan/sqrt(cos^2) = sqrt((1-cos^2))tan/sqrt(cos^2) = sqrt(1-cos^2)1/tan = sqrt(1/cos^2 - cos^2/cos^2)1/tan = sqrt(1/cos^2 - 1)1/tan = sqrt(1-1)1/tan = 0In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed and period of revolution of
fontseeker

Homework Statement

A small mass m is suspended from a string of length L. The body revolves in a horizontal circle of radius R with a constant speed v. Find the speed of the body and the period of the revolution.

media%2F4d8%2F4d8de872-1929-425e-ace8-beead5259cb2%2Fphp2ifwFR.png

Homework Equations

ΣFx = Tx = mV^2/r
Period = (2πr)/V

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_4437.jpg

However, I was told that the velocity is actually √(g*L*Cos(θ)) / tan(θ). Why is my answer incorrect?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fontseeker said:
However, I was told that the velocity is actually √(g*L*Cos(θ)) / tan(θ). Why is my answer incorrect?
Your answer looks correct. If ##\text{tan}(\theta)## is inside the square root, which I assume it should be, then the given answer is identical to yours.

NFuller said:
Your answer looks correct. If ##\text{tan}(\theta)## is inside the square root, which I assume it should be, then the given answer is identical to yours.
Could you please explain how the answer is identical?

Tan = sin/cos

What is the definition of the period of an object moving in horizontal circle?

The period of an object moving in horizontal circle is the time it takes for the object to complete one full revolution around the circle.

How is the period of an object moving in horizontal circle calculated?

The period of an object moving in horizontal circle can be calculated using the equation T = 2πr/v, where T is the period, r is the radius of the circle, and v is the velocity of the object.

What factors affect the period of an object moving in horizontal circle?

The period of an object moving in horizontal circle is affected by the radius of the circle, the velocity of the object, and the mass of the object.

Can the period of an object moving in horizontal circle be changed?

Yes, the period of an object moving in horizontal circle can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as changing the radius of the circle or the velocity of the object.

How is the period of an object moving in horizontal circle related to its frequency?

The period and frequency of an object moving in horizontal circle are inversely related. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. The relationship can be represented by the equation f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the period.