Finding the period of an object moving in horizontal circle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
fontseeker

Homework Statement


A small mass m is suspended from a string of length L. The body revolves in a horizontal circle of radius R with a constant speed v. Find the speed of the body and the period of the revolution.

media%2F4d8%2F4d8de872-1929-425e-ace8-beead5259cb2%2Fphp2ifwFR.png


Homework Equations



ΣFx = Tx = mV^2/r
Period = (2πr)/V

The Attempt at a Solution



IMG_4437.jpg


However, I was told that the velocity is actually √(g*L*Cos(θ)) / tan(θ). Why is my answer incorrect?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fontseeker said:
However, I was told that the velocity is actually √(g*L*Cos(θ)) / tan(θ). Why is my answer incorrect?
Your answer looks correct. If ##\text{tan}(\theta)## is inside the square root, which I assume it should be, then the given answer is identical to yours.
 
NFuller said:
Your answer looks correct. If ##\text{tan}(\theta)## is inside the square root, which I assume it should be, then the given answer is identical to yours.
Could you please explain how the answer is identical?