How do I calculate the pH of slime and its effect on viscosity?

• Thread starter irumi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, you would need to calculate the molarity and amount of all the substances you are using to make the slime, and then calculate the pH.
irumi
TL;DR Summary
So I'm basically doing an experiment where I am going to add different amounts of acid and base in order to change the pH of slime. ( I heard putting acid and base causes the forming and breaking of bonds inside the slime)
How would I be able to calculate the pH of slime?

I learned how to "add" pH's, like I know how to get a new pH from adding one solution to another.
But I'm not sure on how to calculate the pH of slime.
From what i know so far, this is all I will be making to make the slime:
(Poly – Vinyl Alcohol (PVA), water, Tetraborate Na2B4O7 , and deonized water)
Do I need to figure out how much the molarity and amount of all these substances I'm going to use and calculate the pH??

I'm trying to experiment the viscosity of the slime as I put different concentrations of acid and base in the slime.
The ultimate goal I'm trying to get is to see the relationship between pH and viscosity.
(I will be putting slime inside a graduated cylinder, drop a ball inside it, and use the viscosity equation (viscosity = [2(ps-pl)ga2]/9v))++also will I be able to increase the pH of the slime by simply just adding more of the same pH of base? or would I have to change the pH of base every time.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
irumi said:
Do I need to figure out how much the molarity and amount of all these substances I'm going to use and calculate the pH??
Yes.

pH calculation is a rather broad subject (or, actually, quite a narrow one, depends on how you look at it ;) ).

I suggest you look at any GenChem101 course, they always have part called "chemical equilibria", typically combined with dissociation of acids and bases and pH related stuff, that's what you will need.

Broadly speaking for research like yours calculation of pH is a very good starting point when designing the experiment and estimating amounts of strong acid/base required to change pH, but during the experiment you should simply measure the pH.

Borax solutions, with multiple dissociation steps, are quite challenging to deal with when doing pH calculations by hand, I suggest you look for some specialized software.

So basically I designed an experiment to see if adding a base/acid to a slime to change its pH will effect viscosity.
But as I started researching more, I also found out adding borax to slime disturbs the hydrogen bonds of polymers within the slime, just like changing the pH of slime.

Obviously, I don't want to do the same experiment; if adding acid/base is the same thing as changing the borax when making slime, that would be doing basically the same thing.

So i was wondering, is the same thing happening because of the same reason? if so, would there be a way to tweak the experiment a little bit to still see the relationship between pH and viscosity?
When I was reading chemistry behind adding borax to slime, I don't think I saw a lot of pH stuff, so I want to make sure if they are the same thing or not.

1. How do I calculate the pH of slime?

To calculate the pH of slime, you will need to measure the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in the slime. This can be done using a pH meter or pH test strips. Once you have the H+ concentration, you can use the formula pH = -log[H+] to calculate the pH of the slime.

2. What is the effect of pH on the viscosity of slime?

The pH of slime can affect its viscosity, or thickness. As the pH increases (becomes more basic), the slime becomes less viscous and more runny. On the other hand, as the pH decreases (becomes more acidic), the slime becomes more viscous and thicker. This is due to the presence of charged particles in the slime that are affected by changes in pH.

3. How does the type of slime affect its pH and viscosity?

The type of slime can greatly affect its pH and viscosity. For example, some slimes may have acidic ingredients (such as vinegar) which will result in a lower pH and thicker viscosity. Other slimes may have basic ingredients (such as baking soda) which will result in a higher pH and runnier viscosity. It is important to consider the ingredients and their properties when calculating the pH and predicting the viscosity of slime.

4. Can I use a pH calculator to determine the pH of slime?

While there are pH calculators available, they may not always be accurate for determining the pH of slime. This is because the ingredients in slime may interact with each other and affect the pH differently than a simple solution of water and an acid or base. It is best to use a pH meter or test strips specifically designed for slime to get an accurate measurement.

5. How can I adjust the pH and viscosity of slime?

The pH and viscosity of slime can be adjusted by adding acidic or basic ingredients to the slime. For example, if the slime is too runny, you can add a small amount of an acidic ingredient (such as lemon juice) to lower the pH and thicken the slime. Similarly, if the slime is too thick, you can add a small amount of a basic ingredient (such as baking soda) to raise the pH and thin out the slime. It is important to add these ingredients slowly and mix well to achieve the desired pH and viscosity.