1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the probability of energy measurements

1. Aug 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi... My problem says:

In a given experiment the system, at the time [itex]t = 0[/itex], in the normalized state is given by:

[tex]\phi(t =0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}(i\psi_{210} + 2\psi_{211})[/tex]

What possible outcomes is possible if you do an energy measurement on the system in this state, and with what probability does this occur ?

2. Relevant equations
    I know that the states [itex]\psi_{21-1}, \psi_{210}[/itex] and [itex]\psi_{211}[/itex] is given by the matrix [itex]H[/itex]:

[tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    E_{2} + 2\gamma\hbar^{2} & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & E_{2} + 2\gamma\hbar^{2} & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & E_{2}\end{array} \right)\][/tex]

Don't know if I need to be telling more ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I know the outcome has to be the two last states (In the order I wrote my states), which means: [itex]\psi_{210}[/itex] and [itex]\psi_{211}[/itex].
    This means that I have to calculate the probability for those two, which means: [itex]P(E_{2} + 2\gamma\hbar^{2})[/itex] and [itex]P(E_{2})[/itex].

My problem is, that I'm not quite sure how to calculate that :/

My book says:

[tex]P(j) = \frac{N(j)}{N},[/tex]
    but I have no idea how to make use of that in this case.

I know the answer should be: [itex]P(E_{2} + 2\gamma\hbar^{2}) = \frac{1}{5}[/itex] and [itex]P(E_{2}) = \frac{4}{5},[/itex]
    but again, not sure how to do it.

So I was hoping someone could give me some pointers towards this, probably, easy question :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2010 #2
    I will use the bracket notation...

You are given a normalized wavefunction [itex]|\Psi\rangle[/itex]. So the probability of measuring a specific eigenstate [itex]|\psi_j\rangle[/itex] is just:

[tex]P(j) = \left|\langle\psi_j|\Psi\rangle\right|^2[/tex]

Each eigenstate corresponds to a specific energy. So you know the probability of measuring a specific energy.
  4. Aug 10, 2010 #3
    Ahhh, ofc...
    I think I have it now :)

Thank you very much.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook