Finding the radius of convergence for n!x^n/n^n

  • Thread starter Thread starter lmannoia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Radius
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
lmannoia
Messages
30
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The radius of convergence of the sum (from n=1 to infinity) of n!x^n /n^n


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I ask way too many calculus questions on here..
This is everything I've done, written really badly..

Ratio test:
(n+1)!xn+1/(n+1)n+1 times nn/(n!)xn
Once I simplify it all, I get down to nn/(n+1)n
Does the limit approach infinity then? Did I make a mistake doing the ratio test?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right that the ratio test yields

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\frac{n^n}{(n+1)^n}}[/tex]

So you need to calculate this limit. To do this, write [tex](n+1)^n=n^n(1+1/n)^n[/tex]. You should see a famous limit popping up...
 
So the limit is 1/e, making the radius of convergence e then?
 
micromass said:
You are right that the ratio test yields

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\frac{n^n}{(n+1)^n}}[/tex]

So you need to calculate this limit. To do this, write [tex](n+1)^n=n^n(1+1/n)^n[/tex]. You should see a famous limit popping up...

hmm.. i think he've missed out his [tex]x[/tex] didnt he?