1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the radius of convergence of a power series

1. Jul 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Σ(n=0 to ∞) ((20)(-1)^n(x^(3n))/8^(n+1)

2. Relevant equations
    Ratio test for Power Series: ρ=lim(n->∞) a_(n+1)/a_n

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried the ratio test for Power Series and it went like this:

ρ=lim(n->∞) (|x|^(3n+1)*8^(n+1))/(|x|^(3n)*8^(n+2))
    =20|x|/8 lim(n->∞) 1
    =20|x|/8

20|x|/8<1
    |x|<2/5

So radius of convergence=2/5.

However when I input the power series into Mathematica, it says that the radius of convergence should be 2 (http://goo.gl/9nAHoS)

Where am I going wrong in my calculation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2015 #2

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Hi there mate, I am going to attempt to help.

Here are some possible errors that I am looking into:

First, x^(3n) when you make it n+1 in the numerator of the ratio test, it should be x^(3n+3), correct?

Well, that might do it. Does this help?

4. Jul 18, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try setting ##x^3 = t## and finding the radius of ##t##-convergence for ##\sum_n c_n t^n##. Then translate those results into statements about ##x##. Alternatively, do it over again, but repair the algebraic errors you made. (Avoidance of such errors is the reason I suggested looking at ##t## instead of ##x##.)

5. Jul 18, 2015 #4

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Also, one other thing --> In your solution you have a 20 sticking out, however, it seems to me that when you take the a^(n+1) term and the a^n term and divide them, the 20 on each will cancel leaving |x^3|/8 <1

6. Jul 18, 2015 #5
    @RJLiberator and @Ray Vickson, thank you both for the help. Sloppy algebra seems to be my perpetual downfall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted