1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the radius of convergence

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    Finding the radius of convergence....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1+2x+(4x^(2)/2!)+(8x^(3)/3!)+(16x^(4)/4!)+(32x^(5)/5!)+...

2. Relevant equations

I would use the ratio test. Which is....

lim as n→∞ (An+1/An)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know what to do to find the answer, but I don't know how to find the expression for the provided series.

I'm guessing it's ((2x^(n))/n!), then work with the ratio test from there?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Re: Finding the radius of convergence....

First, I assume you mean ((2x)^n)/n!. That IS correct. Use the ratio test from here. Remember that the ratio has to be less than 1 (as n goes to infinity) for the series to converge. That should help you out.

4. Dec 7, 2011 #3

Sweet. I was right on the expression. Okay, so I did the ratio test.

(2x^(n+1))/((n+1)!) * (n!/2x^(n)) = ((xn!)/(n+1)!) But doesn't this lim as n→∞ of this equal 0? Or is there more simplification I need to do? The answer is (1/4), but I don't see how I'm going to get that.

5. Dec 7, 2011 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

First, the ratio test gives zero, i.e. less than 1 for any x you choose, so what does that tell you about the radius?

1/4 is definitely not the correct answer for this function. I checked that two different ways, and they gave me the same answer... and it wasn't 1/4.

6. Dec 7, 2011 #5

Odd. Because the text book says the answer to this is (1/4). Well. I should double check to see if my expression agrees with the given series.

7. Dec 7, 2011 #6

Oops! Wow. I was doing the wrong problem.

The series is 1+2x+((4!x^(2))/(2!))+((6!x^(3))/((3!^(2))+..........

Sorry. Okay. I know the denominator of the expression is going to be (n!)^2, but not so sure of the numerator. Other than that, I probably can handle the rest of the problem.

8. Dec 7, 2011 #7

How do I edit posts? I keep typing the series wrong.....

9. Dec 7, 2011 #8

Forget it. Delete this. I'll just make a new thread asking for help on finding the series. I'll be sure to type out the series correctly this time. Sorry. I feel so stupid.

10. Dec 7, 2011 #9

Char. Limit

Gold Member

No need to worry I figured out what you meant. The denominator is (n!)^2, like you said. The numerator isn't that hard, either, actually. Just think about what sequence goes 0!, 2!, 4!, 6!.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook