1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the set of values for x

1. Apr 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the set of values for x which

[tex]\frac{(x-3)^{2}}{x+1} < 2[/tex]

I turned this into

[tex]\frac{(x-7)(x-1)}{x+1} < 0 [/tex]

Now this implies that the critical angles are x = 7, 1 and -1 but how do I create the sets. I think I have to do somthing with sign change?

EDIT: WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY LATEX??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2009 #2
    There is nothing wrong with your latex; the forum is having problems at the moment.

It is a product of 3 terms, so you have the conditions abc < 0 iff (ab < 0 and c > 0) or (bc < 0 and a > 0) or (ac < 0 and b > 0). Inequalities usually generate logical sets like this.

4. Apr 25, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi thomas49th! :smile:
    Yes, that's fine …

(and of course it's the same as the product (x-7)(x-1)(x+1) < 0 … do you see why? :wink:)

and you know that the sign can only change at 7 1 or -1 (but why are you calling them angles? :confused:), and will change each time (since there are no squared factors) :wink:

5. Apr 25, 2009 #4
    Sorry I meant values NOT angles. My bad :S

Never done the sets like that. Pretty sure i've never been taught that method, though I cant remeber the method so that's why im asking :)

I don't know why you can multiply them like that. (x+1) is the denominator !!! you could say (x+1)-1 maybe?

The way I say it outloud is:

y values of (x-7)(x-1) are divide by the y values x+1 graph and I want to find where the new composite graph is below the x-axis. I'm not sure what the most sensible way of doing it is... Im sure there was a method of drawing out a table???

6. Apr 25, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because (x+1)2 is always positive, so A/(x+1) has the same sign as (A/(x+1))(x+1)2, = A(x+1).
    Why are you making this so complicated?

Use slider142's :smile: method …

the product of three things will be negative if exactly an odd number of them is negative … ie if either one is negative, or all three are negative …

so in this case … ? :smile:

7. Apr 26, 2009 #6
    sorted. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook