1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the subfields of a field

1. May 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that ##p(x)## is an irreducible polynomial of prime degree in ##F[x]##. What are the subfields of ##K=F[x] / \langle p(x) \rangle##?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For some reason I am not seeing how to approach this problem. Some pointers would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What is ##[\,K\, : \,F\,]## and what does the degree formula tells you, which you have read some minutes ago in the other thread?

4. May 2, 2017 #3
    Is ##[\,K\, : \,F\,] = q##, where ##q## is the degree of ##p(x)##? Does the degree formula show that the only subfields are ##K## and the trivial subfield because ##q## is prime and can't be decomposed into factors?

5. May 2, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Yes. Although I wouldn't call ##F## the trivial subfield. And you need the irreducibility of ##p(x)##, too, for otherwise the degree of the field extension would be less than ##q##.

6. May 2, 2017 #5
    One more slightly related thing, that I don't really want to make another thread for. I know that ##\mathbb{Z} / \langle x^2 + 2x + 2\rangle## is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z} / \langle x^2 + x + 2\rangle##, because they are finite fields with order as a power of a prime, since they both have order ##3^2 = 9##. I'm just curious, is there a standard way that I could find an explicit isomorphism?

7. May 2, 2017 #6

fresh_42

Let me guess: you meant ##\mathbb{Z}_3[x] / \langle x^2 + 2x + 2\rangle## and ##\mathbb{Z}_3[x] / \langle x^2 + x + 2\rangle##?
    I would determine the roots of the polynomials and map root to root. Say ##\xi^2+2\xi +2 = 0## and ##\eta^2+\eta +2 =0## then ##\varphi(\xi):=\eta## (and ##\varphi(a)=a## for ##a\in \mathbb{Z}_3##) should do.

8. May 2, 2017 #7
    But aren't the polynomials irreducible?

9. May 2, 2017 #8

fresh_42

Irreducibility depends on where. So, yes, they are irreducible in ##\mathbb{Z}_3[x]##, but they are not in ##\mathbb{Z}_3[\xi][x]##, resp. ##\mathbb{Z}_3[\eta][x]##. Of course, ##\xi## and ##\eta## are artificial numbers, but so is, e.g. ##\sqrt{2}## which also is only an abbreviation of a number that satisfies a polynomial equation, in this case ##x^2-2=0##.

10. May 2, 2017 #9
    I see. I am little confused about the function definition though. For example, where would it send the element ##(ax+b )+ \langle x^2 + 2x +2 \rangle## for example?

11. May 2, 2017 #10

fresh_42

Let's see:

##(ax+b )+ \langle x^2 + 2x +2 \rangle## corresponds to the element ##a\xi +b \in \mathbb{Z}_3[x]/\langle x^2+2x+2 \rangle##.
    So ##\varphi(a\xi +b) = \varphi(a)\varphi(\xi)+\varphi(b)=a\eta +b \in \mathbb{Z}_3[x]/\langle x^2+x+2 \rangle## which corresponds to the polynomial class ##(ax+b )+ \langle x^2 + x +2 \rangle##.

To be sure, one would have to check, whether ##\varphi((ax+b) \cdot (cx+d))=\varphi(ax+b)\cdot \varphi(cx+d)## and ##\varphi((ax+b) + (cx+d))=\varphi(ax+b) + \varphi(cx+d)## hold. However, it is better to operate with ##\xi## and ##\eta##, because then it is clear, that they satisfy two different equations, whereas the difference in the multiplications of the polynomials isn't as obvious.
    So better to check ##\varphi((a\xi +b) \cdot (c\xi + d))=(a\eta +b)\cdot (c\eta +d)## and ##\varphi((a\xi +b) + (c\xi +d))=(a\eta +b) + (c\eta+d)##.

Things become more difficult in extensions of higher degrees. But in the end, it's only a basis change of ##\mathbb{Z}_3## vector spaces. Since ##\varphi(a)=a## for all ##a \in \mathbb{Z}_3##, there is not much choice left rather than to map ##\xi \mapsto \eta## or on its conjugate, which would be the other root (that can be found by the division ##(x^2+x+2)\, : \,(x-\eta)\, = \, \ldots\;\;## Here's an example of how to do this with abstract numbers: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...r-a-polynomial-over-z-z3.889140/#post-5595083).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted