Finding the subfields of a field

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary: Things become more difficult in extensions of higher degrees. But in the end, it's only a basis change of ##\mathbb{Z}_3## vector spaces. Since ##\varphi(a)=a## for all ##a \in \mathbb{Z}_3##, there is not much choice left rather than to map ##\xi \mapsto \eta## or on its conjugate, which would be the other root (that can be found by the division ##(x^2+x+2)\, : \,(x-\eta)\, = \, \ldots\;\;## Here's an example of how to do this with abstract numbers:...In
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Suppose that ##p(x)## is an irreducible polynomial of prime degree in ##F[x]##. What are the subfields of ##K=F[x] / \langle p(x) \rangle##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For some reason I am not seeing how to approach this problem. Some pointers would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##[\,K\, : \,F\,]## and what does the degree formula tells you, which you have read some minutes ago in the other thread?

fresh_42 said:
What is ##[\,K\, : \,F\,]## and what does the degree formula tells you, which you have read some minutes ago in the other thread?
Is ##[\,K\, : \,F\,] = q##, where ##q## is the degree of ##p(x)##? Does the degree formula show that the only subfields are ##K## and the trivial subfield because ##q## is prime and can't be decomposed into factors?

Yes. Although I wouldn't call ##F## the trivial subfield. And you need the irreducibility of ##p(x)##, too, for otherwise the degree of the field extension would be less than ##q##.

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
Yes. Although I wouldn't call ##F## the trivial subfield. And you need the irreducibility of ##p(x)##, too, for otherwise the degree of the field extension would be less than ##q##.
One more slightly related thing, that I don't really want to make another thread for. I know that ##\mathbb{Z} / \langle x^2 + 2x + 2\rangle## is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z} / \langle x^2 + x + 2\rangle##, because they are finite fields with order as a power of a prime, since they both have order ##3^2 = 9##. I'm just curious, is there a standard way that I could find an explicit isomorphism?

Mr Davis 97 said:
One more slightly related thing, that I don't really want to make another thread for. I know that ##\mathbb{Z} / \langle x^2 + 2x + 2\rangle## is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z} / \langle x^2 + x + 2\rangle##, because they are finite fields with order as a power of a prime, since they both have order ##3^2 = 9##. I'm just curious, is there a standard way that I could find an explicit isomorphism?
Let me guess: you meant ##\mathbb{Z}_3[x] / \langle x^2 + 2x + 2\rangle## and ##\mathbb{Z}_3[x] / \langle x^2 + x + 2\rangle##?
I would determine the roots of the polynomials and map root to root. Say ##\xi^2+2\xi +2 = 0## and ##\eta^2+\eta +2 =0## then ##\varphi(\xi):=\eta## (and ##\varphi(a)=a## for ##a\in \mathbb{Z}_3##) should do.

fresh_42 said:
Let me guess: you meant ##\mathbb{Z}_3[x] / \langle x^2 + 2x + 2\rangle## and ##\mathbb{Z}_3[x] / \langle x^2 + x + 2\rangle##?
I would determine the roots of the polynomials and map root to root. Say ##\xi^2+2\xi +2 = 0## and ##\eta^2+\eta +2 =0## then ##\varphi(\xi):=\eta## (and ##\varphi(a)=a## for ##a\in \mathbb{Z}_3##) should do.
But aren't the polynomials irreducible?

Irreducibility depends on where. So, yes, they are irreducible in ##\mathbb{Z}_3[x]##, but they are not in ##\mathbb{Z}_3[\xi][x]##, resp. ##\mathbb{Z}_3[\eta][x]##. Of course, ##\xi## and ##\eta## are artificial numbers, but so is, e.g. ##\sqrt{2}## which also is only an abbreviation of a number that satisfies a polynomial equation, in this case ##x^2-2=0##.

fresh_42 said:
Irreducibility depends on where. So, yes, they are irreducible in ##\mathbb{Z}_3[x]##, but they are not in ##\mathbb{Z}_3[\xi][x]##, resp. ##\mathbb{Z}_3[\eta][x]##. Of course, ##\xi## and ##\eta## are artificial numbers, but so is, e.g. ##\sqrt{2}## which also is only an abbreviation of a number that satisfies a polynomial equation, in this case ##x^2-2=0##.
I see. I am little confused about the function definition though. For example, where would it send the element ##(ax+b )+ \langle x^2 + 2x +2 \rangle## for example?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I see. I am little confused about the function definition though. For example, where would it send the element ##(ax+b )+ \langle x^2 + 2x +2 \rangle## for example?
Let's see:

##(ax+b )+ \langle x^2 + 2x +2 \rangle## corresponds to the element ##a\xi +b \in \mathbb{Z}_3[x]/\langle x^2+2x+2 \rangle##.
So ##\varphi(a\xi +b) = \varphi(a)\varphi(\xi)+\varphi(b)=a\eta +b \in \mathbb{Z}_3[x]/\langle x^2+x+2 \rangle## which corresponds to the polynomial class ##(ax+b )+ \langle x^2 + x +2 \rangle##.

To be sure, one would have to check, whether ##\varphi((ax+b) \cdot (cx+d))=\varphi(ax+b)\cdot \varphi(cx+d)## and ##\varphi((ax+b) + (cx+d))=\varphi(ax+b) + \varphi(cx+d)## hold. However, it is better to operate with ##\xi## and ##\eta##, because then it is clear, that they satisfy two different equations, whereas the difference in the multiplications of the polynomials isn't as obvious.
So better to check ##\varphi((a\xi +b) \cdot (c\xi + d))=(a\eta +b)\cdot (c\eta +d)## and ##\varphi((a\xi +b) + (c\xi +d))=(a\eta +b) + (c\eta+d)##.

Things become more difficult in extensions of higher degrees. But in the end, it's only a basis change of ##\mathbb{Z}_3## vector spaces. Since ##\varphi(a)=a## for all ##a \in \mathbb{Z}_3##, there is not much choice left rather than to map ##\xi \mapsto \eta## or on its conjugate, which would be the other root (that can be found by the division ##(x^2+x+2)\, : \,(x-\eta)\, = \, \ldots\;\;## Here's an example of how to do this with abstract numbers: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...r-a-polynomial-over-z-z3.889140/#post-5595083).

1. What is meant by "subfields" of a field?

Subfields are specific areas or branches within a larger field of study. They focus on a particular aspect or application of the field and share a common subject matter or methodology.

2. Why is it important to identify the subfields of a field?

Identifying the subfields of a field is important for several reasons. It helps to understand the scope and boundaries of the field, as well as the different perspectives and approaches within it. It also allows for a more targeted and specialized study or research within a specific area of interest.

3. How can I find the subfields of a field?

One way to find the subfields of a field is by conducting a literature review and examining the different topics and themes that are commonly studied within the field. Another way is to consult experts or professionals in the field who can provide insights and knowledge about the different subfields.

4. Are subfields of a field static or can they change over time?

Subfields of a field can change over time as new research and developments emerge. Some subfields may merge or evolve into new subfields, while others may become less relevant or popular. It is important to regularly review and update the subfields of a field to stay current and informed.

5. How can understanding the subfields of a field benefit my research or career?

Understanding the subfields of a field can help to identify gaps or areas for further research, as well as potential collaborations or interdisciplinary opportunities. It can also provide a clearer direction for career development and specialization within the field.