Finding the sum of a convergent Series

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the sum of a geometric series and the properties of exponents that can be used to manipulate the terms in order to solve for the sum. The solution involves rewriting the series in a form that can be solved using the geometric series formula. The conversation ends with the individual expressing their gratitude for the help and mentioning that they did well on their exam.
Jake4

Homework Statement

Sum (n=1->infinity) of 2^(n+2)/3^n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have literally no idea how to attempt this. We beat into the ground the process of testing convergence and finding that, but not how to find the actual SUM.

any help would be fantastic, Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a geometric series, [tex]\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{2^{n+2}}{3^n}[/tex].

For a geometric series in the form [tex]\sum_{n = 1}^\infty ar^{n-1}[/tex], if |r|<1, the sum is given by [tex]\frac{a}{1-r}[/tex]

How can you make your series look like that?

I have, quite literally, no idea...

You need to use properties of exponents so that both the 2 and 3 have a power of n-1. Then, what you pull out will be your a, and the terms raised to n-1 will be r...

What types of properties would allow me to do that?

I'm sorry, I'm finishing up this homework assignment, due in 2 hours... and I have an exam on this today in class. I can test for convergence, I can find taylor and maclauren series, but this is the last part of the homework, I have about a page and a half of examples, and I haven't the faintest idea of how to solve them.

He's saying you need to solve for a here:

[tex] \frac{2^{n+2}}{3^n} = a \frac{2^{n-1}}{3^{n-1}}[/tex]

Recall:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
a^ma^n = a^{m+n} \\
\frac{a^m}{a^n} = a^{m/n} \\
\frac{a^n}{b^n} = \left(\frac{a}{b}\right)^n
\end{align*}
[/tex]
etc...

Ahhh! as is the case very often in mathematics, the moment it makes sense, you feel like an idiot...

So simple, thank you so much for bearing with me :)

thanks guys!

just absolutely obliterated my exam.. thanks guys :D

1. What is a convergent series?

A convergent series is a sequence of numbers that approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you determine if a series is convergent?

A series is convergent if the limit of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. This can be determined using various convergence tests such as the ratio test, comparison test, or integral test.

3. What is the formula for finding the sum of a convergent series?

The formula for finding the sum of a convergent series is S = a / (1 - r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio of the series. This formula is applicable for geometric series, while other types of series may have different formulas for finding the sum.

4. Can a divergent series have a sum?

No, a divergent series does not have a finite sum. The terms of a divergent series do not approach a finite value and therefore, the series does not have a sum.

5. How is finding the sum of a convergent series useful in real-world applications?

Finding the sum of a convergent series is useful in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and finance. It allows us to make predictions and calculations based on patterns and trends found in the series. For example, in finance, the concept of compound interest can be modeled using a convergent series.