Finding the sum of a serie by recognizing it as a Mclaurin serie

  • Thread starter Thread starter tamtam402
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
tamtam402
Messages
199
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm trying to find the sum of the following serie:

[itex]\Sigma^{\infty}_{0}\frac{1}{n2^{n}}[/itex]

Homework Equations



[itex]ln(1+x)=\Sigma^{\infty}_{0}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}x^{n}}{n}[/itex]



The Attempt at a Solution



According to my book, the serie is equal to ln(2), which means I should be able to substitute x = 1 in the serie development of ln(1+x) and find the form of the serie. However, I can't see how the two are similar. There isn't even a (-1)^n in the serie I'm asked to find the sum of!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
tamtam402 said:

Homework Statement



I'm trying to find the sum of the following serie:

[itex]\Sigma^{\infty}_{0}\frac{1}{n2^{n}}[/itex]

Homework Equations



[itex]ln(1+x)=\Sigma^{\infty}_{0}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}x^{n}}{n}[/itex]
Both series are undefined if n = 0, so I would guess that they both need to start at 1.

By the way, "series" is both singular a plural in English - there is no word "serie" in English.

In LaTeX, you can also use \sum for a series, like this:
[ tex ] \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n}[ /tex ]
If the extra spaces are removed, it renders as this:
$$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n} $$
tamtam402 said:

The Attempt at a Solution



According to my book, the serie is equal to ln(2), which means I should be able to substitute x = 1 in the serie development of ln(1+x) and find the form of the serie. However, I can't see how the two are similar. There isn't even a (-1)^n in the serie I'm asked to find the sum of!

Maybe there's a typo in your book. It looks to me like x = -1/2 would get rid of all but one factor of -1.
 
If x = -1/2, then ln(1 - 1/2) = ln(1/2) = ln(2-1) = -ln(2)
Then by putting -1/2 for x in the series expansion of ln(1+x), xn will alternate in sign and you can rewrite the sum with just positive terms.