1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the sum of a serie by recognizing it as a Mclaurin serie

1. May 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to find the sum of the following serie:

[itex]\Sigma^{\infty}_{0}\frac{1}{n2^{n}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]ln(1+x)=\Sigma^{\infty}_{0}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}x^{n}}{n}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

According to my book, the serie is equal to ln(2), which means I should be able to substitute x = 1 in the serie development of ln(1+x) and find the form of the serie. However, I can't see how the two are similar. There isn't even a (-1)^n in the serie I'm asked to find the sum of!

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Both series are undefined if n = 0, so I would guess that they both need to start at 1.

By the way, "series" is both singular a plural in English - there is no word "serie" in English.

In LaTeX, you can also use \sum for a series, like this:
    [ tex ] \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n}[ /tex ]
    If the extra spaces are removed, it renders as this:
    $$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n} $$
    Maybe there's a typo in your book. It looks to me like x = -1/2 would get rid of all but one factor of -1.

4. May 21, 2012 #3
    If x = -1/2, then ln(1 - 1/2) = ln(1/2) = ln(2-1) = -ln(2)
    Then by putting -1/2 for x in the series expansion of ln(1+x), xn will alternate in sign and you can rewrite the sum with just positive terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook