Finding the sum of heights under a curve

• I
  • Thread starter yosimba2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding the sum of all heights under a curve in integral calculus. It is suggested to divide the interval into infinitely many parts and evaluate the function at each point, but this approach does not make sense as it results in infinitely large numbers. The correct way to calculate an integral is by taking the limit of a sum of areas, not just adding up numbers.
yosimba2000
In integral calc, you add up very small areas to find the total area under the curve. So it would be f(x1)Δx + f(x2)Δx+ ..., summed up. But what if you wanted to find out the sum of all heights under the curve? So it would be something like f(x1) + f(x2) + ...

I'm thinking the formulation would be this:

Take bounds [a,b], and divide that into many infinite n parts to get a step size of (b-a)/n, lim n -> inf.
Using right end points, evaluate f(x) where x = a + i*(b-a)/n, and i goes from 1 to inf
So it then becomes Σi=1i=n f(xi)

For f(x) = 2x, from 0 to 5
5-0/n, lim n ->inf
xi = 0 + 5i/n = 5i/n

Σi=1i=n 2xi and i = n at the end since you need to add up as many segments as you made (n segments)
Σi=1i=n 2(5i/n)
(10/n)Σi=1i=n i
(10/n)(1+2+3+4+5...+n)
and since (1+2+3+4+5...+n) is greater than n by an infinite amount
then (10/n)(1+2+3+4+5...+n) = infinity?

I think this result makes sense in that there are infinitely many x points to choose under the curve, and they all have a positive height (except for at x=0), so infinitely many positive heights added up = infinity.

What do you think?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
yosimba2000 said:
In integral calc, you add up very small areas to find the total area under the curve. So it would be f(x1)Δx + f(x2)Δx+ ..., summed up. But what if you wanted to find out the sum of all heights under the curve? So it would be something like f(x1) + f(x2) + ...
This doesn't make any sense. In any interval [a, b] of nonzero length, there are an uncountable infinity of points.

First off, how are you going to list them? You can use x1, x2, etc., with indices from the integers, because the integers, while infinite, are only countably infinite.
yosimba2000 said:
I'm thinking the formulation would be this:

Take bounds [a,b], and divide that into many infinite n parts to get a step size of (b-a)/n, lim n -> inf.
Using right end points, evaluate f(x) where x = a + i*(b-a)/n, and i goes from 1 to inf
So it then becomes Σi=1i=n f(xi)

For f(x) = 2x, from 0 to 5
5-0/n, lim n ->inf
xi = 0 + 5i/n = 5i/n

Σi=1i=n 2xi and i = n at the end since you need to add up as many segments as you made (n segments)
Σi=1i=n 2(5i/n)
(10/n)Σi=1i=n i
(10/n)(1+2+3+4+5...+n)
and since (1+2+3+4+5...+n) is greater than n by an infinite amount
then (10/n)(1+2+3+4+5...+n) = infinity?

I think this result makes sense in that there are infinitely many x points to choose under the curve, and they all have a positive height (except for at x=0), so infinitely many positive heights added up = infinity.

What do you think?
I think it doesn't make any sense for precisely the reason you say. As you evaluate the function at more and more points, you get larger and larger numbers. How is that useful?

Mark44 said:
This doesn't make any sense. In any interval [a, b] of nonzero length, there are an uncountable infinity of points.

First off, how are you going to list them? You can use x1, x2, etc., with indices from the integers, because the integers, while infinite, are only countably infinite.
The limit of n to inf of the interval (b-a)/n is the step size where the function is evaluated. It's the same way a normal integral is calculated, but all I've done is remove multiplying the width by (b-a)/n AKA width of very small size.
https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~kouba/CalcTwoDIRECTORY/defintdirectory/DefInt.html

yosimba2000 said:
The limit of n to inf of the interval (b-a)/n is the step size where the function is evaluated. It's the same way a normal integral is calculated, but all I've done is remove multiplying the width by (b-a)/n AKA width of very small size.
This is a crucial difference. In a Riemann integral you're taking the limit of a sum of products that could be interpreted as areas, with each of them being some small but finite width. What you're doing is just adding up more and more numbers. There's really no comparison.
yosimba2000 said:

What is the purpose of finding the sum of heights under a curve?

The purpose of finding the sum of heights under a curve is to calculate the total area under a curve, which can represent various real-world phenomena such as distance traveled, population growth, or sales data.

How do you find the sum of heights under a curve?

The sum of heights under a curve can be found by dividing the curve into smaller sections, calculating the area of each section, and then adding all the areas together. This can be done using various methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.

What kind of data is needed to find the sum of heights under a curve?

To find the sum of heights under a curve, you will need a set of data points that represent the curve. This data can be in the form of coordinates, a table of values, or a mathematical function.

Can the sum of heights under a curve be negative?

Yes, the sum of heights under a curve can be negative. This can occur if the curve dips below the x-axis, as the area above the x-axis is considered positive and the area below the x-axis is considered negative.

What are some real-world applications of finding the sum of heights under a curve?

The sum of heights under a curve can be applied in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. Some examples include calculating the work done by a variable force, determining the total revenue from sales data, and estimating the volume of a 3D shape using cross-sectional area measurements.