1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the surface area of a curved object using calculus

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need some help with a surface area of a solid. The solid is made from rotating the line y=x^2 around the x axis. So it's sort of like a cone or a horn. Here are my steps:

2. Relevant equations
    Surface of revolution formula
    Integrate 2∏r times the square root of 1 plus the derivative squared (dx).

3. The attempt at a solution
    2[itex]\pi[/itex] [itex]\int[/itex] x[itex]^{2}[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{1+2x^2}[/itex]
    This is the surface of revolution concept of course. How do I integrate this? Should I make the square root a power of .5??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If your derivative = 2x, then the derivative squared = (2x)^2, NOT 2x^2

As to the integral itself, try u-substitution with integration by parts.

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3
    Thanks!

5. Nov 11, 2012 #4
    As for the curve y = x[itex]^{2}[/itex] , it is an upward parabola with the centre on the origin and x-axis.So when rotated about the x-axis the solid should look something like the attachement image I did.

Now you can integrate the figure using area under curves method.

Attached Files:

6. Nov 11, 2012 #5
    No that's not correct sorry

7. Nov 11, 2012 #6
    But I think the parabola statement was right,because y = x^2 is an upward parabola right?

8. Nov 11, 2012 #7
    The parabola's base or curve is at the origin, the lines point up left and right. I'm focusing on the parabola's part that is to the right of the y axis. So half of a curve rotated around the origin looks like a curvy cone.

Thanks for you guys' help, I now have the answers. Thanks!

9. Nov 11, 2012 #8
    Great!! :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook