Finding the time for the first shock for a quasilinear first order PDE

In summary, the method of setting x_\xi = 0 can be used to determine the position of the first shock in PDEs of the form u_t + g(u)u_x = f(u), with initial condition u(x,0) = h(x). This method works by finding the intersections of neighbouring characteristics, which can be used to determine the first shock. However, in more complicated cases where x_\xi does not exist at a certain point, this method may not accurately determine the position of the first shock.
BloonAinte
TL;DR Summary
To find a shock wave, do we always solve the equation ##x_{\xi}=0##? The PDEs I consider are of the form ##u_t + g(u) u_x = f(u)##, with initial condition ##u(x,0) = h(x)##.
To find a shock wave, do we always solve the equation ##x_{\xi}=0##? The PDEs I consider are of the form ##u_t + g(u) u_x = f(u)##, with initial condition ##u(x,0) = h(x)##. I have been looking at the solutions for problems in my homework sheet but this method was used with no explanation.

Why does this method work to find the formation of the first shock?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
A shock forms when neighbouring charcteristics first intersect. Characteristics corresponding to neighbouring values of [itex]\xi[/itex] will intersect when [tex](x(\xi,t),t) = (x(\xi + \delta \xi, t), t)[/tex] which to first order in [itex]\delta \xi[/itex] requires [tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial \xi} = 0.[/tex]

Likes BloonAinte
Thank you! Does this method always determine the first shock?

I have looked up an example to illustrate my doubt:

https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...-curve-and-sketch-characteristics-in-xt-plane

That question considers some PDE and obtains characteristics as follows:
IOfH2.png

In this question, the characteristics for ##x > 0.5## intersect those for ##x < -0.5##. These are not neighbouring characteristics, but they have intersections. However, ##t## is not minimal there, so it's not the position of the first shock. These also do not seem to solve ##x_{\xi} = 0##.

From this "investigation", I guess that this means that this method of setting ##x_{\xi}=0## will always give the position of the first shock, and this always occurs due to characteristics which are close together.

Does this sound accurate? Thank you!

This example is complicated by the fact that [itex]x_\xi[/itex] does not exist at [itex]\xi = 0[/itex]. In this case, a characteristic in [itex]\xi > 0[/itex] intersects the characteristic [itex]x = 0[/itex] when [tex]
t = \frac{2\xi}{2 - \xi}.[/tex] This first happens at [tex]
\max \left\{ 0, \inf_{\xi \geq 0} \frac{2\xi}{2 - \xi} \right\} = 0.[/tex]

Likes BloonAinte
Thank you so much for all your help! :) I understand this more now ^^

Likes jim mcnamara

What is a quasilinear first order PDE?

A quasilinear first order PDE (partial differential equation) is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is called "quasilinear" because the coefficients of the equation are allowed to vary with respect to the dependent variables, making it more complex than a linear PDE.

Why is it important to find the time for the first shock in a quasilinear first order PDE?

Finding the time for the first shock in a quasilinear first order PDE is important because it helps to predict the behavior of the system described by the equation. The first shock refers to the first instance of a sudden change or discontinuity in the solution of the equation, which can have significant impacts on the overall behavior of the system.

How do scientists typically approach finding the time for the first shock in a quasilinear first order PDE?

Scientists typically use a combination of analytical and numerical methods to find the time for the first shock in a quasilinear first order PDE. This involves analyzing the equation and its properties, as well as using computational techniques to simulate and solve the equation.

What are some real-world applications of quasilinear first order PDEs?

Quasilinear first order PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and economics. They are used to model and understand the behavior of complex systems, such as fluid flow in pipes, electromagnetic fields in electronic devices, and economic markets.

Are there any challenges or limitations in finding the time for the first shock in a quasilinear first order PDE?

Yes, there are several challenges and limitations in finding the time for the first shock in a quasilinear first order PDE. These include the complexity of the equation, the need for specialized mathematical and computational techniques, and the potential for multiple shocks or discontinuities in the solution. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may also be affected by uncertainties in the initial conditions or parameters of the equation.