Solving the Shock Wave Problem for $u_t + uu_x = 0$

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation $u_t+uu_x=0$ with a given initial condition for all $t \geq 0$, allowing for a shock wave. The solution is found to be $u(x,t)=\left\{\begin{matrix}1, & \text{ if } x \leq t,\\ \frac{1-x}{1-t}, & \text{ if } t \leq x \leq 1,\\ 0, & \text{ if } x \geq 1.\end{matrix}\right.$ The shock wave occurs at $t=1$ and is found to satisfy the entropy condition, defined as $u^- > u
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to solve the equation $u_t+uu_x=0$ with the initial condition $u(x,0)=1$ for $x \leq 0$, $1-x$ for $0 \leq x \leq 1$ and $0$ for $x \geq 1$. I want to solve it for all $t \geq 0$, allowing for a shock wave. I also want to find exactly where the shock is and show that it satisfies the entropy condition.

I have tried the following.

We get that $u(x(t),t)=c$.

The characteristic line that passes through the points $(x,t)$ and $(x_0,0)$ has slope

$\frac{x-x_0}{t-0}=\frac{dx}{dt}=u(x,t)=u(x_0,0)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
1, & \text{ if } x_0 \leq 0,\\
1-x_0, & \text{ if } 0 \leq x_0 \leq 1,\\
0, & \text{ if } x_0 \geq 1.
\end{matrix}\right.$$\Rightarrow x-x_0=\left\{\begin{matrix}
t, & \text{ if } x_0 \leq 0,\\
t(1-x_0), & \text{ if } 0 \leq x_0 \leq 1,\\
\end{matrix}\right.$

$\Rightarrow u(x,t)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
1, & \text{ if } x \leq t,\\
\frac{1-x}{1-t}, & \text{ if } t \leq x \leq 1,\\
0, & \text{ if } x \geq 1.
\end{matrix}\right.$Do we have a shock at the time when $u$ is not continuous? But how can we find such a time?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I want to solve the equation $u_t+uu_x=0$ with the initial condition $u(x,0)=1$ for $x \leq 0$, $1-x$ for $0 \leq x \leq 1$ and $0$ for $x \geq 1$. I want to solve it for all $t \geq 0$, allowing for a shock wave. I also want to find exactly where the shock is and show that it satisfies the entropy condition.

I have tried the following.

We get that $u(x(t),t)=c$.

The characteristic line that passes through the points $(x,t)$ and $(x_0,0)$ has slope

$\frac{x-x_0}{t-0}=\frac{dx}{dt}=u(x,t)=u(x_0,0)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
1, & \text{ if } x_0 \leq 0,\\
1-x_0, & \text{ if } 0 \leq x_0 \leq 1,\\
\end{matrix}\right.$$\Rightarrow x-x_0=\left\{\begin{matrix}
t, & \text{ if } x_0 \leq 0,\\
t(1-x_0), & \text{ if } 0 \leq x_0 \leq 1,\\
\end{matrix}\right.$

$\Rightarrow u(x,t)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
1, & \text{ if } x \leq t,\\
\frac{1-x}{1-t}, & \text{ if } t \leq x \leq 1,\\
0, & \text{ if } x \geq 1.
\end{matrix}\right.$Do we have a shock at the time when $u$ is not continuous? But how can we find such a time?

Hey evinda!

What will happen to $u$ when $t$ reaches $1$? (Wondering)

Btw, your solution doesn't cover $t>1$ does it?
The second condition breaks down, and the first and third condition will overlap. (Worried)

The shock wave happens when $t=1$.

Which is the entropy condition? (Thinking)

evinda said:
The shock wave happens when $t=1$.

Which is the entropy condition?

I don't know what an entropy condition is. (Crying)

Do you have a definition? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
I don't know what an entropy condition is. (Crying)

Do you have a definition? (Wondering)

I found the definition at page $12$: https://web.stanford.edu/class/math220a/handouts/conservation.pdf.

In our case, ee have $f'(u)=u$.
At $t=1$ we have $u^-=1$ and $u^+=0$, and so we have $u^- > u^+$, which means that the entropy condition is satisfied.

Right? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Yes, I believe so. (Nod)

Nice, thank you! (Smile)

1. What is the Shock Wave Problem?

The Shock Wave Problem is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a shock wave in a compressible fluid. It is based on the conservation laws of mass, momentum, and energy, and is commonly used in fields such as aerodynamics and astrophysics.

2. How is the Shock Wave Problem solved?

The Shock Wave Problem is typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite volume methods. These methods discretize the problem into a system of algebraic equations, which can then be solved using computer algorithms.

3. What is the significance of solving the Shock Wave Problem?

Solving the Shock Wave Problem allows us to better understand the behavior of shock waves and their effects on various systems. This can lead to advancements in technologies such as supersonic flight and rocket propulsion, as well as furthering our understanding of natural phenomena such as supernovae.

4. What challenges are involved in solving the Shock Wave Problem?

The Shock Wave Problem can be challenging to solve due to the nonlinear nature of the governing equations and the discontinuity in the solution at the shock wave. Additionally, numerical methods must be carefully chosen and implemented to ensure accurate and stable solutions.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving the Shock Wave Problem?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of solving the Shock Wave Problem. Some examples include designing supersonic aircraft, studying the formation and behavior of shock waves in explosions, and understanding the dynamics of shock waves in astrophysical events such as supernovae.