Finding the unknown magnitude of force

In summary, the authors attempted to find the force that would keep the sled from moving up or down, using the equations for forces. They found that Curly would need to exert a downward force of 17.32 N to cancel out Moe's force of 10 N. They also found that Curly's x component of force was 29.999 N.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

Here's a link to the website that has the problem. It's right under example 1.
http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/chapter6section3.rhtml

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is just for the first part; finding Curly's force.
For the sled not to move up or down, both Curly and Moe will each have to have a y component force that cancels out the other one. I calculated Moe's y component force to be 17.32 N, which means Curly would also have to have 17.32 N of downward force to negate Moe's force. Then I calculated Curly's x component of force from having his y component of force and got 29.999 N of force.

What they did is completely foreign to me. First, they got 8.660 N as Moe's y component of force because they multiplied .866, the sine, times the x component. I don't know why they did that.
Then they just divided the 8.660 they got by Curly's sine to get Curly's x component of force. I don't see why they did that and they don't explain why they were doing it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:

Homework Statement

Here's a link to the website that has the problem. It's right under example 1.
http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/chapter6section3.rhtml

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is just for the first part; finding Curly's force.
For the sled not to move up or down, both Curly and Moe will each have to have a y component force that cancels out the other one. I calculated Moe's y component force to be 17.32 N,
Hi there!

How did you get that result? The y component cannot be larger than the magnitude, which is 10 N. You have to use

y component = magnitude times sin(angle measured with respect to the x axis)

which means Curly would also have to have 17.32 N of downward force to negate Moe's force. Then I calculated Curly's x component of force from having his y component of force and got 29.999 N of force.

What they did is completely foreign to me. First, they got 8.660 N as Moe's y component of force because they multiplied .866, the sine, times the x component.

Not quite. They multiplied the sin by the *magnitude* of Moe's force. And that's in agreement with what I wrote above.

I don't know why they did that.
Then they just divided the 8.660 they got by Curly's sine to get Curly's x component of force. I don't see why they did that and they don't explain why they were doing it.
They do not divide 8.660 by any sine. So I am not sure what you are referring to.

Hope this helps!

How did you get that result? The y component cannot be larger than the magnitude, which is 10 N. You have to use
I assumed the magnitude was their x component force. So their magnitude was the total force they were exerting? Which would be the hypotenuse?
Not quite. They multiplied the sin by the *magnitude* of Moe's force. And that's in agreement with what I wrote above.
Oh, ok.
They do not divide 8.660 by any sine. So I am not sure what you are referring to.
I was just kinda reading what the last equation was that they did. I'm going to try this again and see if I can do it...Ok thanks. I got 17.32 as his force, which is what they got. What confused me is the way they did it at the end. That and I thought the force they were talking about was the force just in the x direction. Don't know why.

Thanks again.

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that is used to measure the interaction between objects and their motion. It can be described as a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or deform.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured using a unit called the Newton (N). It can be measured using tools such as a spring scale or a force sensor.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of force?

The magnitude of force can be affected by factors such as the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, and the type of force being applied (e.g. friction, gravity, etc.).

4. How can the unknown magnitude of force be found?

The unknown magnitude of force can be found by using Newton's second law, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). By measuring the mass of the object and its acceleration, the unknown force can be calculated.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the unknown magnitude of force?

Finding the unknown magnitude of force is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It can be used to design structures, determine the speed of an object, and improve athletic performance, among other things.