1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the value of the element dq

1. Sep 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys, i need a bit of help with the following question. Ok the question states the following, explain why the element of charge, dq, located within an infinitesimally thin spherical shell or radius r is equal to rho(r)*4*pi*(r)^2dr, where dr is the thickness of the shell.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok i know that total charge is equal to charge density multiplied by volume, which is equal to rho*4/3pi*r^2. Hence if i were to find dq, i would have to differentiate with respect to r, dq/dr and solve for dq... thus dq/dr=rho(r)*dv/dr
    where dv/dr=4*pi*r^2, therefore if i solve for dq i should get dq=rho(r)*4*pi*r^2*dr...

ok i have no idea if that was right or not... any help here would be greatly appreciated and also why dont we differentiate rho(r)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2
    *bump*

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3
    yeah i kinda need help with a question very similar to this..... i have the same basic idea as warror_1 but im still unsure as to how to explain it

5. Sep 14, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Yes, that approach is right. And we do don't differentiate rho because it's a constant, not a function.

As for explaining it, you don't need to; the OP's equations prove what the question asked to prove, so they're perfectly sufficient. For a more intuitive explanation, think of adding an extra layer of thickness dr on top of a sphere of radius r. If you flatten out the sphere onto a map, it would have an area of 4pi*r^2; with the extra layer, it would be 4pi*(r+dr)^2. If dr is small, there's no difference in their size, so now you have two layers of equal shape and area separated by distance dr. The volume of contained in that is 4pi*r2dr, so the contained charge must be rho*4pi*r2dr

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook