Finding the value of the element dq

In summary, the charge within an infinitesimally thin spherical shell is equal to the charge on the outside multiplied by the amount of thickness of the shell.
warrior_1

Homework Statement

Hi guys, i need a bit of help with the following question. Ok the question states the following, explain why the element of charge, dq, located within an infinitesimally thin spherical shell or radius r is equal to rho(r)*4*pi*(r)^2dr, where dr is the thickness of the shell.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok i know that total charge is equal to charge density multiplied by volume, which is equal to rho*4/3pi*r^2. Hence if i were to find dq, i would have to differentiate with respect to r, dq/dr and solve for dq... thus dq/dr=rho(r)*dv/dr
where dv/dr=4*pi*r^2, therefore if i solve for dq i should get dq=rho(r)*4*pi*r^2*dr...

ok i have no idea if that was right or not... any help here would be greatly appreciated and also why don't we differentiate rho(r)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
*bump*

yeah i kinda need help with a question very similar to this... i have the same basic idea as warror_1 but I am still unsure as to how to explain it

Yes, that approach is right. And we do don't differentiate rho because it's a constant, not a function.

As for explaining it, you don't need to; the OP's equations prove what the question asked to prove, so they're perfectly sufficient. For a more intuitive explanation, think of adding an extra layer of thickness dr on top of a sphere of radius r. If you flatten out the sphere onto a map, it would have an area of 4pi*r^2; with the extra layer, it would be 4pi*(r+dr)^2. If dr is small, there's no difference in their size, so now you have two layers of equal shape and area separated by distance dr. The volume of contained in that is 4pi*r2dr, so the contained charge must be rho*4pi*r2dr

1. What is the process for finding the value of the element dq?

The process for finding the value of the element dq involves analyzing various properties and characteristics of the element, such as its atomic number, mass, and electron configuration. This information can be found in the periodic table.

2. Why is it important to find the value of the element dq?

Knowing the value of an element is important for understanding its chemical and physical properties, as well as its potential uses in various industries. It also helps in predicting how the element will react with other substances.

3. Can the value of the element dq change?

The value of an element, represented by its atomic number, is a fundamental property and cannot change. However, the element may exist in different isotopes, which have different masses and may exhibit slightly different properties.

4. How is the value of the element dq determined in the laboratory?

The value of the element dq is determined in the laboratory through various techniques, such as spectroscopy and mass spectrometry. These methods involve analyzing the element's interactions with energy and particles to determine its properties.

5. Are there any exceptions to the value of the element dq?

In general, the value of an element's atomic number is consistent and does not have any exceptions. However, there may be some cases where an element's atomic number is uncertain or disputed among scientists, leading to different values being reported in different sources.