Finding the Velocity of a Hang Glider: Where to Start?

  • Thread starter Thread starter metalmagik
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
metalmagik
Messages
130
Reaction score
0
The altitude of a hang glider is increasing at a rate of 6.75 m/s. At the same time, the shadow of the glider moves along the ground at a speed of 17.0 m/s when the sun is directly overhead. Find the magnitude of the glider's velocity.

I drew this diagram all out and I still cannot understand the concept of this. I don't understand...I could figure this out if I was given an angle at wihch the hang glider was traveling...but since I am not i do not know how to figure this out. Where can I start? any help please??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Effectively, you have been given both the vertical and horizontal velocity. That is all you need. Knowing both of these, you could find the angle if you needed to.
 
AH thanks I didnt need the angle but that got me to thinking about how to get it and i realized to use pythagorean theorem. THANKS!