Finding the Velocity of a Projectile knowing only Launch Angle and Flight Time

• Thread starter flyparnape
  • Start date
flyparnape
Homework Statement:
Quick question, how would I find the velocity of Projectile Motion without knowing the total distance
Relevant Equations:
I'm given the object mass: 13.874g, Angle of Launch: 40˚, the horizontal length of 60cm and the time it lands on the ground: 4s. Also, gravity is obviously 9.8m/s
I don't know the distance or the horizontal velocity so I can't find any logical solution

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
The fact that the projectile was in the air for ##4s## must tell you something.

Doc Al
Mentor
I don't know the distance
What does "horizontal length" mean?

Hint: Consider the vertical component of motion.

flyparnape
So horizontal length is the length of the object when placed at the angle of launch. Am I supposed to find the distance from the ground

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
So horizontal length is the length of the object when placed at the angle of launch. Am I supposed to find the distance from the ground
Where did the horizontal length come from? Is that mentioned in the problem statement?

flyparnape
Where did the horizontal length come from? Is that mentioned in the problem statement?
The horizontal length comes from the position of the rocket before launch

Doc Al
Mentor
Not sure how that is relevant. Could you please post the full problem statement so we can see what's being asked for in context?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Yes, the POSITION of the rocket, not the length of the rocket.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Homework Statement:: Quick question, how would I find the velocity of Projectile Motion without knowing the total distance
Relevant Equations:: I'm given the object mass: 13.874g, Angle of Launch: 40˚, the horizontal length of 60cm and the time it lands on the ground: 4s. Also, gravity is obviously 9.8m/s

I don't know the distance or the horizontal velocity so I can't find any logical solution
What aspect of the launch parameters determines the time in the air (for a flight that starts and finishes at the same height)?

flyparnape
horizontal length, and gravity

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
I don't think that's the answer we were expecting. Normally, in projectile motion problems the horizontal length of an object is not relevant. In any case, the length of an object tells you nothing about launch speed and angle.

There a hint there about the correct answer.

Doc Al
Mentor
Please post the full problem statement. That way we'll know exactly what you're given and what you're asked to find.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
So horizontal length is the length of the object when placed at the angle of launch.
I sense a language issue. By "horizontal length", do you mean how far the projectile moves horizontally between its launch and when it lands?

flyparnape
Here's is a picture of the object

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 1.21.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 1.21.47 PM.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 63
Doc Al
Mentor
Interesting. Now (as previously advised) see if you can use the given information (that 4s, for instance) to figure out the vertical component of the initial velocity.

hmmm27
Gold Member
So, not actually a rocket. That takes care of one pointless mystery. Another two or three pages and we might actually figure out what the homework problem is.

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
If you are trying to determine the initial velocity of the projectile from the time of flight, then you should shoot it straight up in the air, i.e. make the "known angle" 90o.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Neither of those are "launch parameters".
When you set up to launch an object on some trajectory, what aspects do you control?

Doc Al
Mentor
If your objective is just to calculate the initial velocity, you have all the information you need. (And some that you don't!)

flyparnape
Neither of those are "launch parameters".
When you set up to launch an object on some trajectory, what aspects do you control?
You control the angle of launch

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
You control the angle of launch
And the speed.
Or to look at it another way, the parameters are the horizontal speed and the vertical speed.
Of those four, is there just one that determines the time in the air, assuming the landing height is the same as the launch height?

Suggested for: Finding the Velocity of a Projectile knowing only Launch Angle and Flight Time

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views