Help with science project to launch a projectile

• Thread starter SSKscioly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
I would leave some undrilled space to allow some compression in the barrel air as well as some space for the seals on the weighted puck to work so the hole terminus line seems about correct to me...... we need data!!

Physics news on Phys.org
hutchphd said:
I would leave some undrilled space to allow some compression in the barrel air as well as some space for the seals on the weighted puck to work so the hole terminus line seems about correct to me...... we need data!!
Thank you hutchphd, I am going to work on collecting the data over the weekend.

Likes hutchphd
Hi @hutchphd , @erobz , I am able to solve the long range issue. I changed the connectors from the tower to the barrel to 2 inch ones ( they were 1.5 inch before) , the projectile now shoots 8m. I am dropping the 3 kg weight from the height of 24 inches in to the 4 inch tower with no holes. The barrel is still 1.5 inch pipe and 24 inches long.

However when i tried testing the near target ( around 2 m distance) by dropping the weight half way through the 4 inch pipe the ball doesn't shoot out of the barrel at all. It keeps rotating inside the 2 inch connectors. If i try changing to 1.5 inch connectors , i am back to 5-6 m range.I tried replacing the 4 inch pipe with the one that has holes and the range is really bad ( only 2 meters)

Last edited:
Do you have actual data (as requested)?