Finding the Volume of a Slightly non-Rectangular Box

• Thread starter LightningInAJar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Volume
In summary, calculating the volume of a slightly non-rectangular box involves breaking down the shape into simpler rectangular components and adding their volumes together. This can be done by measuring the length, width, and height of each component and using the formula V = lwh to find their volumes. The total volume of the box can then be calculated by adding the volumes of the individual components. Alternatively, the volume can also be found by filling the box with a known quantity of water and measuring the amount of water displaced.
LightningInAJar
Homework Statement
This isn't actually for homework. Just my own reference.
Relevant Equations
I realize a rectangle's volume is measure by multiplying length x width x height.
I have a storage tote that has a larger top than bottom. How do I figure out its volume? Is this like a 3D trapezoid?

Can I measure the volume of the rectangle assuming the top is the same as the bottom, then as if the bottom were the same as the top, then just subtract the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
LightningInAJar said:
Homework Statement:: This isn't actually for homework. Just my own reference.
Relevant Equations:: I realize a rectangle's volume is measure by multiplying length x width x height.

I have a storage tote that has a larger top than bottom. How do I figure out its volume? Is this like a 3D trapezoid?

Can I measure the volume of the rectangle assuming the top is the same as the bottom, then as if the bottom were the same as the top, then just subtract the two?
I would carefully measure the inside dimensions of the tote at the bottom and top and make a drawing of the volume with those dimensions. Then I'd just add the volume of the 8 extra triangular pieces to the volume of the smaller box.

But those totes also have a slight curve to their shape, so to get a more accurate number I'd use a garden hose and a bathroom scale :smile:

How accurate do you need this volume number to be, and why?

1666823190726.png

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51ABxdvMwBL._AC_UL400_.jpg

berkeman said:
I would carefully measure the inside dimensions of the tote at the bottom and top and make a drawing of the volume with those dimensions. Then I'd just add the volume of the 8 extra triangular pieces to the volume of the smaller box.

But those totes also have a slight curve to their shape, so to get a more accurate number I'd use a garden hose and a bathroom scale :smile:

How accurate do you need this volume number to be, and why?

View attachment 316149
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51ABxdvMwBL._AC_UL400_.jpg
Oh, just curious how accurate the sticker is about its volume and to compare similar bins that claim 1:2 volume differences.

Put the thing on a scale and fill it (completely) with water !

Likes Lnewqban
LightningInAJar said:
Oh, just curious how accurate the sticker is about its volume and to compare similar bins that claim 1:2 volume differences.
What does "1:2 volume differences" mean?

To get the formula for your original question, we can integrate the delta-height times the width and length at each height.
Let ##W_b## and ##L_b## be the width and length at the bottom, and ##W_t## and ##L_t## be the width and length at the top. Let ##H## be the total height and ##h## be the height at a particular height between ##0## and ##H##.
The width at height ##h## is ##W_b+(W_t-W_b)h/H##. Likewise, the length is ##L_b+(L_t-L_b)h/H##.
So the volume of a horizontal slice of thickness ##dh## at any given height, ##h##, is ##( W_b+(W_t-W_b)h/H )( L_b+(L_t-L_b)h/H )dh##.
The volume integral is: ## \int_{0}^{H} ( W_b+(W_t-W_b)h/H )( L_b+(L_t-L_b)h/H ) \, dh ##.
We can multiply this out and group the coefficients of different powers of ##h##. (I wish I had Maple!)
Then the volume integral is ## Volume = \int_{0}^{H} ( A + (B/H) h + (C/H^2) h^2) \, dh ##.
Where
## A=W_b L_b;##
##B=(L_b(W_t-W_b)+W_b(L_t-L_b));##
##C=(W_t-W_b)(L_t-L_b)##.
##Volume = A H + B H/2 + C H/3 = (A+B/2+C/3)H##.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
What does "1:2 volume differences" mean?
Meaning one bin claims 20gals and the other 10gals.

LightningInAJar said:
Is there a fill level for the bins?
20 gals might mean 19.9, or 20.1, depending on how high you fill with water. ( pick your decimal value )
Same for the 10 gal bins.
You will get a roundabout value, but never accurate to a T.
Perhaps the manufacturer has to compensate for ullage ( sounding ) . Who knows what reg's come up at the oddest time. That air space that you see in bottles - that is ullage.
https://www.container-xchange.com/glossary/ullage/

Plus, using water with a scale, you will have to temperature compensate for the density of water, much like buying fuel in the winter/ summer.

Likes Lnewqban
If you have one of each, fill the smaller one up twice and see if it all fits in the larger one.

LightningInAJar said:
Can you post links to each of these totes please? I'm guessing that you are misreading the specs. You didn't work for NASA on the Mars missions, do you? :wink:

• Haha
Likes FactChecker
berkeman said:
You didn't work for NASA on the Mars missions, do you? :wink:
Ouch! That was cold! :-)

Are these bins similar in shape? Then it is easy.

One bin is 18gal and taller, the other is 10gal and shorter but longer. They are Sterilite brand storage bins so they aren't really for holding water, nor do I want to waste any.

I measured the first at about 16" to 18" long, 12" to 14.5" wide, and about 15" tall compensating for the lid.

The second bin I measured 20.75" long, 14.5" to 16.5" wide, and about 5.25" tall.

I calculated that the smaller bin is maybe only 90% of what it should hold assuming that the 18gal one does in fact hold that much. I think tomorrow I might cheat and draw these shapes out using Sketchup and use the volume tool since the tops and bottoms are slightly different sizes.

LightningInAJar said:
I measured the first at about 16" to 18" long, 12" to 14.5" wide, and about 15" tall compensating for the lid.
Using the equations of post #6, I get that this is 3385 cubic inches.
LightningInAJar said:
The second bin I measured 20.75" long, 14.5" to 16.5" wide, and about 5.25" tall.
This is 1688 cubic inches.
The ratio is 1:2.
Water is 231 cubic inches per U.S. liquid gallon. 3385 would be 14.7 gallons and 1688 would be 7.3 gallons.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
Using the equations of post #6, I get that this is 3385 cubic inches.

This is 1688 cubic inches.
The ratio is 1:2.
Water is 231 cubic inches per U.S. liquid gallon. 3385 would be 14.7 gallons and 1688 would be 7.3 gallons.
Those are the volumes I got also. Weird that it would be labeled as 10gal and 18gal if one is actually evenly double the other.

Likes FactChecker
Unless you can provide good error bars for your calculated volumes it is neither weird nor not weird
It is simply an estimate of undetermined quality, and therefore of limited utility.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
LightningInAJar said:
Those are the volumes I got also. Weird that it would be labeled as 10gal and 18gal if one is actually evenly double the other.
I also thought that the exact 1:2 ratio was surprising (3385/1688=2.005), but I do think it's largely coincidental. It doesn't surprise me that the volumes are exaggerated as much as possible. That's advertising. I'm sure that their volume is at least up to overflowing.

Well thanks all for the formulas.

Likes FactChecker
LightningInAJar said:

Missing the shorter length of the second bin.

As an alternative to the formula @FactChecker showed in post #6, you can get a reasonable approximation by multiplying the average of the two lengths, the average of the two widths, and the height. Doing this for the first bin, I get 17 * 13.25 * 15 = 3378.75 cu. in. This is smaller than the value shown by FactChecker by 6.25 cu. in., which represents an error of about 0.2%.

What I'm doing is using the formula for the area of a trapezoid with parallel bases of ##b_1## and ##b_2##, and a height of h. The area of such a trapezoid is the height times the average of the two bases, or ##A = h\frac{b_1 + b_2}2##.

Likes FactChecker
Mark44 said:
Missing the shorter length of the second bin.
I took that to mean that those sides were straight up and the top and bottom measurements were equal.
Mark44 said:
As an alternative to the formula @FactChecker showed in post #6, you can get a reasonable approximation by multiplying the average of the two lengths, the average of the two widths, and the height. Doing this for the first bin, I get 17 * 13.25 * 15 = 3378.75 cu. in. This is smaller than the value shown by FactChecker by 6.25 cu. in., which represents an error of about 0.2%.
Good point. The linear average is much closer than I would have assumed. I knew that the true equations were nonlinear, so I never thought to compare my answers to the linear average.

1. How do you measure the volume of a slightly non-rectangular box?

To find the volume of a slightly non-rectangular box, you will need to measure the length, width, and height of the box using a ruler or measuring tape. Then, multiply these three measurements together to calculate the volume in cubic units.

2. Can you use the same formula for finding the volume of a rectangular box for a slightly non-rectangular box?

No, the formula for finding the volume of a rectangular box (length x width x height) only works for perfectly rectangular boxes. For a slightly non-rectangular box, you will need to use a different formula that takes into account the irregular shape of the box.

3. What is the difference between a slightly non-rectangular box and a regular rectangular box?

A slightly non-rectangular box has at least one side that is not a perfect rectangle. This means that the length, width, and/or height may be slightly curved or uneven, making it more challenging to calculate the volume compared to a regular rectangular box with straight sides.

4. Are there any tools or techniques that can make finding the volume of a slightly non-rectangular box easier?

Yes, there are several tools and techniques that can help you find the volume of a slightly non-rectangular box. One option is to use a digital caliper to measure the dimensions of the box more accurately. Another technique is to break down the box into smaller, simpler shapes (such as cubes or cylinders) and then calculate the volume of each shape separately before adding them together.

5. Can the volume of a slightly non-rectangular box be measured in any unit of measurement?

Yes, the volume of a slightly non-rectangular box can be measured in any unit of measurement as long as all measurements are in the same unit. Common units for measuring volume include cubic inches, cubic feet, liters, and cubic meters.