1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the work done on a cutting tool

Tags:
  1. Feb 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cutting tool under microprocessor control has several forces acting on it. One force is F⃗ =−αxy2j^, a force in the negative y-direction whose magnitude depends on the position of the tool. The constant is α = 2.70N/m3 . Consider the displacement of the tool from the origin to the point x= 2.95m , y= 2.95m .

Part A
    Calculate the work done on the tool by F⃗ if this displacement is along the straight line y=x that connects these two points.

Part B
    Calculate the work done on the tool by F⃗ if the tool is first moved out along the x-axis to the point x= 2.95m , y=0 and then moved parallel to the y-axis to x= 2.95m , y= 2.95m .

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I was simply trying to use the W=force*distance, and I tried to use the vector equation for force by plugging in the coordinate that it would end up at and then for distance I used the distance from the origin to the point (2.95, 2.95) for the first part, and then I broke Part B into two parts, calculating work from origin to (2.95, 0) and then work from there to (2.95, 2.95).

It didn't work, and it is due by 11:59 PM. I am really confused. (Please, if you use calculus in your replies, please explain in detail. My calculus is very weak right now...)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please post your working. It is hard to say where you went wrong from merely an outline of what you did.
    Also, this is very much an international forum. I don't know what time zone you are in.

4. Feb 17, 2015 #3
    Hello

I am in the Eastern Time Zone by the way, so about 51 minutes left (!)

For the first one, I took W=F*D and took F⃗ =−αxy^2 j-hat, plugged in α=2.70, x=2.95, y=2.95, and then multiplied that by the sqrt(2*2.95^2). I got -289.

For the second one, I did the same thing but in two parts. The first part I plugged in α=2.70, x=2.95, y=0, and then multiplied that by 2.95. Then I added the product of the next part, which I plugged in α=2.70, x=2.95, y=2.95, and multiplied that by 2.95.

The homework system tells me I am wrong. Please correct me.

5. Feb 17, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Substituting those coordinates in the expression for F gives you the force at those coordinates. You need to integrate the force along the path to those coordinates.

6. Feb 17, 2015 #5
    I do not know how to integrate the force along the path...Could you explain in detail?

7. Feb 17, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Suppose you move a distance dx in the x direction. To stay on that path you must also move dx in the y direction. Express that as a vector. The work done by the force is the dot product of F with that vector. Compute that dot product and integrate over the range of x.

8. Feb 17, 2015 #7
    Please look at my math

Could I write it as the integral from 0 to 2.95 of (-2.7*x*y^2) dx?

9. Feb 17, 2015 #8
    Or would it be the integral of -2.7*y^2*dx from 0 to 2.95?

10. Feb 17, 2015 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In the OP you wrote ##\alpha xy2\hat j##. I gues that meant y2. If so, yes, but remember that y is a known function of x along this path.

11. Feb 17, 2015 #10
    I do not know what you mean by y being a known function of x. Was my first integral correct, and then if I plug in the value of that integral into the W=F*D equation, then it works?

12. Feb 17, 2015 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What does it tell you about the path in part A?

13. Feb 17, 2015 #12
    OH

so y=x. Then for my final integral, it is the integral of x^3 dx from 0 to 2.95? (I may have that completely wrong.)

14. Feb 17, 2015 #13

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, not forgetting alpha.

15. Feb 17, 2015 #14
    So it would be the integral of -2.7x^3 dx from 0 to 2.95

Then for part B,

is the first integral -2.7*0*dx from 0-2.95? and then the second one...since it is dy, then I could do -2.7*x*2y*dy from 0 to 2.95?

16. Feb 17, 2015 #15

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand the 2y. What happened to y2?

17. Feb 17, 2015 #16
    I thought since it was dy, I would not so anything to the x, but the change would happen to the y part, unless I was supposed to change it to (1/3) y^3? My calculus is really rusty

18. Feb 17, 2015 #17
    I calculated the integral for the first part and got -51.12, and then multiplied that by the sqrt(2*(2.95^2)) and got -213.3. It is still wrong. I do not know what to do.

19. Feb 17, 2015 #18

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

For this part of the question, it's the same algebraic form of F, but as you move up from y=0 to the finishing point x is constant. So, yes, you should get y3/3 in the result.

20. Feb 17, 2015 #19
    Okay then. But for part A, was the answer that I got in joules? Am I supposed to do another calculation to get joules?

21. Feb 17, 2015 #20

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why did you multiply it by anything? What quantity do you think the result of the integration is giving you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted