1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the z component of vectors that form a triangle?

1. Mar 27, 2013 #1
    For the vectors in the figure, with a = 1.1 and b = 2.6, what are (a) the z component of a x b, (b) the z component of a x c, and (c) the z component of b x c?

Everything I've tried to look up involves vectors that are in unit notation, etc. I just don't understand how to do it when all you have for the vector is one number.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2
    With the information given, you can work out the angle between a and c.
    Then use the formula for the cross product which uses the magnitudes and angle.

4. Mar 28, 2013 #3
    So using a x b = |a| |b| sinθ told me that the z component of a x b = (1.1)(2.6)sin90 = 2.9.

And for b x c = (2.6)(2.823)sin(90-67.07)=2.9.

These were both correct, but then when I tried to do a x c = (1.1)(2.823)sin67.06 = 2.9 this was the wrong answer.

Am I missing something completely obvious?

Thank you for your help!

5. Mar 28, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That should be |a x b| = |a| |b| sinθ. If you want a x b, not just its magnitude, you need to worry about direction. Yes, it's in the z direction, but is it positive or negative? You need to apply the convention for a x b (as distinct from b x a) to determine that.
    From the diagram, you have a + b + c = 0. So 0 = a x (a + b + c) = a x a + a x b + a x c = a x b + a x c. It follows that a x b and a x c must have opposite signs.

6. Mar 28, 2013 #5
    Perfect THANK you that was certainly what I was missing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted