1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding time and momentum after collision?

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. PROBLEM: Students roll a heavy ball (m=5.39g) down a ramp (that ends horizontally) into a light ball (m=3.25g). The top of the ramp is 13.5 cm above the bottom of the ramp. The bottom of the ramp is 1.35 m above the floor. The students found that without collision, the heavy ball travels 89.0 cm away from the table before hitting the floor. After the head-on collision, the heavy ball travels 51.5 cm away from the table before hitting the floor.

a) How long does it take the heavy ball to hit the floor after the collision?
    I tried solving it this way:
    (9.8 m/s^2)(.15m)=(1/2)v^2
    v=1.63 m/s

I did a Pythagorean triangle to find the distance(hypotenuse) between 1.35m and .515 m and got 1.44 m
    distance = rate/time
    t=.88 sec.

I didn't know what i was doing at all so it would be so great if someone could explain how to do this problem. please don't mind my work since i know like 90% of it is wrong and completely doesn't make sense. please please please help!!! ;_;

b)What is the momentum of the heavy ball before the collision?
    p=(.00539kg)(1.63m/s)= .00877 kg*m/s

This i understand, but i know i got the velocity wrong from the previous question.

c) What should be the momentum of the light ball after the collision?
    v1+v2= -(2vf) <----um...i thought this was inelastic and somehow added the final velocities.

1.63 m/s + 0= -(2vf)
    vf=.815 m/s

= (.00325kg)(.815 m/s)
    = .00265 kg*m/s <----this was my answer.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

The time to fall is generally given by x = 1/2*g*t2

Since you started with velocity all horizontal after the collision, then your vertical component would be starting from 0 so that should be all you need.

And you are right you calculated your V in a) incorrectly.

In c) the time to fall divided into the distance from the table should give you the velocity of the small ball after the collision shouldn't it?
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?