Finding torque around a structure

In summary, the robot has these dimensions, it needs to work out the torques around T1 to T6, it is unsure of the best way to do it. There may be a better way to do it.
flashskate13
Hello All,

I am designing a robot that has these dimensions, I need to work out the torques around T1 to T6, I am unsure of the best way to do it, ie do I do a net torque calculation around the torque to be found or is there a better way.

W1 to W4 =
0.53955 kN​
W5 =
14.44032 kN​
W6 to W9 =
1.0791 kN​
The arms that measure 100mm are currently drawn at 90 degrees but these will probably be more 89 degree.

tcals.png

I'm looking at getting the most accurate results this is a new subject to me, and I understand the basics of torque and reactions but don't know how to piece it together for the case.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's not clear exactly what you are doing here, but it sort of kinda looks like some sort of series robot. A series robot has a link connected to a joint connected to a link connected to a joint connected ... etc.

Step 1: The general principle is to start at the extreme end, where you have a load. The load has a force due to gravity plus a force due to acceleration. Those forces act through the center of gravity of the load, so are a force plus a moment at the tip of the end link.

Step 2: Move down the end link to the joint. The force and moment due to the load are a force and a (different) moment at the first joint. Added to that is the force and moment due to the mass of the end link. You now have a force and moment at the end joint.

Step 3: Now calculate the force and moment at the next joint. Repeat until you get to the base.

If this is unclear, make a Free Body Diagram (FBD) of the end link alone, post it, and we will help you from there.

@jrmichler hope this give you a better idea, so the legs with the red circles on are the ones creating contact withe the ground, at one phase of the robots gait. As you mentioned it is a series of links and connectors.
Now the aim is to find the torque acting at the joints, so I can say this servo would be the ideal choice.
The diagram of previous post is simplified hence why the w1 to w4 number is less than w6 to w9, w1 to w4 represents the single leg
top angle.png

1. What is torque and how does it relate to structures?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around a fixed axis. In the context of structures, torque is important because it can affect the stability and strength of the structure.

2. How do you calculate torque around a structure?

To calculate torque around a structure, you need to know the force acting on the structure and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance.

3. What are some common examples of torque around a structure?

Some common examples of torque around a structure include the force of wind on a building, the weight of a person on a bridge, or the force of water on a dam. In each of these cases, the force is acting on the structure and causing it to rotate or twist.

4. How does torque affect the stability of a structure?

If the torque acting on a structure is large enough, it can cause the structure to become unstable and potentially collapse. This is why engineers carefully consider torque when designing structures, to ensure they can withstand the forces acting upon them.

5. How can you minimize torque around a structure?

There are a few ways to minimize torque around a structure. One way is to distribute the weight or force evenly across the structure, rather than having it concentrated in one area. Another way is to use braces or supports to help counteract the torque and keep the structure stable.