Finding two solutions for the d.e y''=1

• Thread starter laura_a
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding a solution to the differential equation y''=1 with initial conditions y(0)=y'(0)=0. The formula Y(x) = y_2(x) \int \frac{y_1}{W(t)} g(t)dt - y_1(x) \int \frac{y_2}{W(t)}g(t)dt is provided, but the speaker has found only one solution using it. They are looking for an alternative method to find the second solution. Another person suggests using one particular solution and two solutions from the homogeneous DE, which the speaker has already found. The conversation also mentions finding two independent solutions to the differential equation y''=0, which are y
laura_a

Homework Statement

I need to find the solution to the d.e y''=1 with initial conditions y(0)=y'(0)=0

I have the formula to use
[tex] Y(x) = y_2(x) \int \frac{y_1}{W(t)} g(t)dt - y_1(x) \int \frac{y_2}{W(t)}g(t)dt [/tex]

And I've worked out easily that one solution is [tex] \frac{x^2}{2} [/tex]
I just tried to use the formula I've got to find another solution y_2 but I ended up getting the same as I've got for y_1.

Is there an easier way to find a solution. The first part of the question asked to find 2 solutions to the d.e y''=0 and I found them to be y_1=1 and y_2=x, it says I can use this information to solve the d.e y''=1 but I don't see how?

Can anyone lead me in the right direction? :) Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You need one particular solution and two solutions from the homogenous DE. Seems you've got them all. What's wrong?

It's hardly that complicated. If u'= 1 the "slope" is a constant so u is linear and u(x)= x+ C where C is any constant.

If you set u= y', y"= u'= 1 so u= y'= x+ C. Now integate again: y= (1/2)x2+ Cx +D.

Taking different values for C and D will give you an infinite number of solutions but the only one that satisfies both y(0)= 0 and y'(0)= 0 is y= (1/2)x2.

If you are concerned about a second order d.e. having two independent solutions, for y"= 0, they are y= 1 and y= x: integrating twice gives y= Cx+ D and then taking C= 1, D= 0 gives y= 1 while taking C= 0, D= 1 gives y= x.

Equivalently, the characteristic equation for the associated homogeneous equation is r2= 0 which has r= 0 as a double root. The independent solutions to the homogeneous equation are y= e0x= 1 and y= xe0x= x.

1. What is a d.e?

A d.e, or differential equation, is an equation that involves one or more derivatives of a function. In this case, the d.e is y''=1, which means the second derivative of y is equal to 1.

2. What does it mean to find two solutions for a d.e?

When we say "two solutions", it means finding two different functions that satisfy the given d.e. In this case, we are looking for two functions whose second derivative is equal to 1.

3. How do you solve a d.e?

There are different methods for solving d.e, depending on the type of equation. In this case, since the d.e is a simple first-order equation, we can use integration to find the solutions. We will need to integrate twice to get the original function.

4. What is the general solution for y''=1?

The general solution for this d.e, or the set of all possible solutions, is y(x) = x^2 + Ax + B, where A and B are constants. This is because the first integration of y''=1 gives y'=x+C, and the second integration gives y=x^2/2 + Cx + D. The constants C and D can be combined into A and B respectively.

5. Can a d.e have more than two solutions?

Yes, a d.e can have multiple solutions depending on the initial conditions or constraints given. In this case, we are only asked to find two solutions, but there may be infinitely many solutions to this d.e.