1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding two solutions for the d.e y''=1

1. Aug 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the solution to the d.e y''=1 with initial conditions y(0)=y'(0)=0

I have the formula to use
    [tex] Y(x) = y_2(x) \int \frac{y_1}{W(t)} g(t)dt - y_1(x) \int \frac{y_2}{W(t)}g(t)dt [/tex]

And I've worked out easily that one solution is [tex] \frac{x^2}{2} [/tex]
    I just tried to use the formula I've got to find another solution y_2 but I ended up getting the same as I've got for y_1.

Is there an easier way to find a solution. The first part of the question asked to find 2 solutions to the d.e y''=0 and I found them to be y_1=1 and y_2=x, it says I can use this information to solve the d.e y''=1 but I don't see how?

Can anyone lead me in the right direction? :) Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

You need one particular solution and two solutions from the homogenous DE. Seems you've got them all. What's wrong?

4. Aug 24, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's hardly that complicated. If u'= 1 the "slope" is a constant so u is linear and u(x)= x+ C where C is any constant.

If you set u= y', y"= u'= 1 so u= y'= x+ C. Now integate again: y= (1/2)x2+ Cx +D.

Taking different values for C and D will give you an infinite number of solutions but the only one that satisfies both y(0)= 0 and y'(0)= 0 is y= (1/2)x2.

If you are concerned about a second order d.e. having two independent solutions, for y"= 0, they are y= 1 and y= x: integrating twice gives y= Cx+ D and then taking C= 1, D= 0 gives y= 1 while taking C= 0, D= 1 gives y= x.

Equivalently, the characteristic equation for the associated homogeneous equation is r2= 0 which has r= 0 as a double root. The independent solutions to the homogeneous equation are y= e0x= 1 and y= xe0x= x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?