1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding velocity components with Forces?

1. Feb 2, 2014 #1
    Three forces acting on an object are given by F1 = (−1.85i+ 6.35j) N, F2 = (4.90i − 1.15j) N, and F3 = (−44.5i) N. The object experiences an acceleration of magnitude 3.55 m/s2.

They want the velocity components of the object after 4 seconds.

First, I calculated the direction of the acceleration to be 169.74 degrees, which it says is correct.

So, I went and calculated its speed after 14 seconds, and I got 49.7 m/s and it says its right.

Then, I went and and calculated vx=49.7*cos(169.74) and got it right.

However, when I go to calculate vy=49.7*sin(169.74), it says its wrong but "I calculated the y component correctly using my incorrect values from above". Yet I got all of the above information right...can anyone help if I'm doing something wrong when calculating vy?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2014 #2

td21

Gold Member

maybe you try inputing 49.7*sin(10.26).

4. Feb 2, 2014 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check the math .... I don't get the same angle you calculated. Or apparently what the answer key has calculated. Maybe you wrote it down wrong? Please show your work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted