Finding Velocity from only distance

In summary, Edward bow can shoot 182.8 meters at a 45 degree angle. It can shoot 12 arrow per minute.
Jonathan.rls
Mod note: Moved from technical section, so no template
Question:
The ace Edward bow can shoot 182.8 meters at a 45 degree angle, it can shoot 12 arrow per minute.

What is the performance of the
Bow?

Attempt:

Basically considering the Dx=182.8 meters I assume the Dy is the same considering its at a 45 degree angle

I tried using (Time)t= sqr root of 2xDy divide by a (-9.81) to find time but when I use the result to find the velocity sand input the velocity into d=ViT+1/2at^2 the distance does not amount to 182.8 meters which I assume it is supposed to

I am in grade 11 taking physics 20 and I need help
@Jaonathan.rls, in future posts of similar homework or homework-like questions, please post them in the Homework & Coursework sections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
At 45 degrees, the x and y components of the velocity at the start of flight are the same. So far so good.

The x part of the speed is presumably constant, ignoring air friction. Not sure how valid that is for a 182.8 meter flight. But never mind. You need to ignore friction for the up-and-down part also, or you can't use (Time)t= sqr root of 2xDy divide by a (-9.81).

However, the vertical distance isn't the same as the horizontal distance. The vertical distance is subject to a constant acceleration. The horizontal is at a constant speed. So you can't use the horizontal distance for Dy.

But you don't need it. What you really want is the time as a function of the initial velocity. That will let you get the x distance as a function of initial velocity. Which will then allow you to solve for the initial velocity, since you know the distance.

You need to write two equations, one for the vertical motion and one for the horizontal. You should then have two simultaneous equations which can be solved. You can't do it by solving one first. The two equations will be different because one is constant velocity and the other is constant acceleration.

You can use the "Range" formula to find the speed, otherwise you have use the
kinematic equations used to derive the formula.

1. How can velocity be calculated using only distance?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This formula can be represented as v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

2. Can velocity be determined if the time is not known?

No, velocity cannot be determined if the time is not known. Time is an essential factor in calculating velocity, so it must be known in order to find the velocity from distance.

3. Is velocity the same as speed?

No, velocity and speed are not the same. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of an object, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures how fast an object is moving.

4. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. A negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its positive velocity. For example, a car traveling westward would have a negative velocity if its positive direction is eastward.

5. How can finding velocity from only distance be useful in real-world applications?

Calculating velocity from distance can be useful in various real-world applications, such as determining the speed of a moving object, analyzing the velocity of a car in a collision, or calculating the velocity of a projectile. It can also be used in calculating the average speed of a journey or the velocity of a person running a race.