Projectile motion when you are only given time and range

In summary, the conversation is about finding the initial velocity, time in air, and maximum height of a golf ball launched at an angle of 30 degrees and landing 150 meters away. The initial velocity is calculated correctly as 41.22 m/s. The formulas for time and height are not provided, but can be derived from the knowledge of vectors and kinematic equations. The x and y components of initial velocity are found to be 41.22cos30 and 41.22sin30, respectively. The acceleration in the x direction is 0 m/s² and in the y direction is -9.81 m/s². Using the horizontal displacement and Vx, the time of flight is calculated to be 4.
Acmnji

Homework Statement

I am very lost and would love help. Given in the description is;"A golf ball leaves a golf club at an angel 30 degrees above the horizontal and lands on the green 150 meters away initial position." With this information i am supposed to find the balls initial velocity, how long it was in the air and how high it rises

The Attempt at a Solution

to find the initial velocity i did delta r = [vi^2 * Sin (60) ]/ 9.81 = 41.22.
not 100% sure this is correct but its what i have so far and i have no idea where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
Acmnji said:

Homework Statement

I am very lost and would love help. Given in the description is;"A golf ball leaves a golf club at an angel 30 degrees above the horizontal and lands on the green 150 meters away initial position." With this information i am supposed to find the balls initial velocity, how long it was in the air and how high it rises

The Attempt at a Solution

to find the initial velocity i did delta r = [vi^2 * Sin (60) ]/ 9.81 = 41.22.
not 100% sure this is correct but its what i have so far and i have no idea where to go from here
Your calculation of initial velocity is correct.

You need to find the time of flight (T) and maximum height (H). Do your notes contain the formulas for T and H ?

cnh1995 said:
Your calculation of initial velocity is correct.

You need to find the time of flight (T) and maximum height (H). Do your notes contain the formulas for T and H ?

okay thanks and they don't contain either of those formulas and i don't see either in my notes as well.

Acmnji said:
okay thanks and they don't contain either of those formulas and i don't see either in my notes as well.
Well, that's odd!

Anyway, you can look them up or you can derive them on your own if you applied your knowledge of vectors and kinematic equations.
What are the x and y components of initial velocity? What is the acceleration in x and y directions?

for the x and y components of vi would it be 41.22cos30 and 41.22sin30?

Acmnji said:
for the x and y components of vi would it be 41.22cos30 and 41.22sin30?
Yes.
What about acceleration?

no acceleration in the x and a acceleration of -9.81 in the y?

Acmnji said:
no acceleration in the x and a acceleration of -9.81 in the y?
Correct.
Can you write the relevant kinematic equations for finding T and H?

im sorry but i have no clue and I am not able to find it anywhere.

Acmnji said:
im sorry but i have no clue and I am not able to find it anywhere.
What is the horizontal dispalcement? Which component of velocity is responsible for it?

vix and time dictate horizontal displacement

Acmnji said:
vix and time dictate horizontal displacement
Yes.
So you can find time from this. You know Vx and horizontal displacement.

So if the horizontal displacement is 150 and the vx is 35.7 it would be 150/35.7=time=4.2 seconds?

Acmnji said:
So if the horizontal displacement is 150 and the vx is 35.7 it would be 150/35.7=time=4.2 seconds?
Yes.

and the equation for height, would that be vy + (0.5*9.81*4.2^2) ?

Acmnji said:
and the equation for height, would that be vy + (0.5*9.81*4.2^2) ?
Careful there..
At what time will the ball be at the maximum height?

at half the time so 2.1 seconds?

Acmnji said:
at half the time so 2.1 seconds?
Right.

im confused now, how would that change the equation

Acmnji said:
vy + (0.5*9.81*4.2^2) ?
You have taken t=4.2s..

so then would it change to vy + (0.5*9.81*2.1^2)

Ok. Would you have access to a graphing calculator compare the path of the golf ball to your answer?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity alone. It follows a curved path due to the combination of its initial velocity and the downward acceleration of gravity.

2. How is projectile motion affected by time and range?

When only given the time and range of a projectile, it is possible to calculate its initial velocity and the angle at which it was launched. This will allow for the prediction of its trajectory and landing point.

3. What is the significance of time and range in projectile motion?

Time and range are important variables in projectile motion as they provide information about the flight of the object. The time gives the duration of the motion, while the range indicates the horizontal distance covered by the projectile.

4. Can you calculate the maximum height of a projectile with only time and range?

Yes, the maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using only the time and range. This can be done by using the equation for the vertical component of the projectile's motion, which takes into account the acceleration due to gravity and the time it takes to reach the highest point.

5. How can you determine the initial velocity of a projectile with only time and range?

By using the time and range values, along with the equations for the horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's motion, it is possible to solve for the initial velocity. This can be done by setting up and solving a system of equations.