Finding Velocity(Momentum related)

• Thread starter Exuro89
  • Start date
In summary, the problem states that when a small ball is dropped onto a larger ball, both balls undergo elastic collisions and rebound with surprising speed. The velocity of the larger ball before the collision is given as V_a and the velocity of the smaller ball is given as V_b. The large ball has a much greater mass than the small ball. The first part of the problem asks for the velocity of the small ball after the collision, which is given as V_B = 3V_b. To solve this, we can use the conservation of momentum equation, m_1v_1 = m_2v_2, where m_1 and m_2 are the masses of the large and small balls, and v_1 and
Exuro89

Homework Statement

Suppose you hold a small ball in contact with, and directly over, the center of a large ball. If you then drop the small ball a short time after dropping the large ball, the small ball rebounds with surprising speed. To show the extreme case, ignore air resistance and suppose the large ball makes an elastic collision with the floor and then rebounds to make an elastic collision with the still-descending small ball. Just before the collision between the two balls, the large ball is moving upward with velocity and the small ball has velocity . (Do you see why?) Assume the large ball has a much greater mass than the small ball.

(a) What is the velocity of the small ball immediately after its collision with the large ball? (answer is V_B = 3V_b)

(b) From the answer to part (a), what is the ratio of the small ball's rebound distance to the distance it fell before the collision?

Homework Equations

m1v1=m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure how to start this out. Our professor gave us this answer to the first part of the problem but I'm not see how I can come to that conclusion. I'm really having an issue with there just being "large and small" masses and not specific values. How do I go about progressing in this problem? Thanks.

EDIT: I was told to find the consvervation of momentum and then find the conservation of energy to find the velocity of the smaller ball. So I would do MaVa = MbVb, solve for Va. Not sure how conservation of energy will be. Will it just be KEa + GPEa = KEb + GPEb?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
show some attempt. Whatever you think just let us know.

What is velocity and how is it related to momentum?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while momentum is a measure of an object's motion, taking into account its mass and velocity. Velocity is directly related to an object's momentum, as an object with a higher velocity will have a greater momentum.

How do you find the velocity of an object?

The velocity of an object can be found by dividing the object's displacement by the time it took to travel that distance. This can be represented by the equation v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for calculating momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This means that an object's momentum is directly proportional to its mass and velocity.

How does velocity affect an object's momentum?

Velocity has a direct effect on an object's momentum. As an object's velocity increases, its momentum also increases. This is because the object is covering a larger distance in a shorter amount of time, resulting in a greater change in momentum.

What units are used to measure velocity and momentum?

Velocity is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). Momentum is measured in units of mass times velocity, such as kilograms meters per second (kg·m/s).