1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding velocity when a mass suspended from a spring passes through equilibrium

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1

MRM

A 1kg mass is suspended from a vertical spring with a spring constant of 100 N/m and the equilibrium position is noted. The spring is then pushed upward (compressed) a distance x=10 cm before the mass is released from rest. How fast will the block be moving when it passes through the equilibrium position?

PEelastic=1/2kx^2
    KE=1/2mv^2

I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I used the equation above and got: 1/2(100)(10)^2 which equals 5000, but I'm honestly not sure what to do after I get the PEelastic (or if I'm even supposed to solve for that). I think if I could figure out KE, I could solve for velocity, but I'm not sure how to solve for kinetic energy...any help in the right direction would be great...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2010 #2
    You are going in the right direction by finding PEelastic. By doing this you also found KE since KE=PEelastic so from there you just plug it into the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook