Finding velocity with energy equations

In summary, a small rock with a mass of 0.20 kg is released from rest at the top edge of a large, hemispherical bowl with a radius of 0.50 m. It slides down to the bottom of the bowl, where the work done by friction on the rock has a magnitude of 0.22 J. The speed of the rock as it reaches the bottom is approximately 2.8 m/s. At this point, the normal force on the rock due to the bottom of the bowl is equal to its weight, which is 5 Newtons.
BlueQuark

Homework Statement

A small rock with mass 0.20 kg is released from rest at point A, which is at the top edge of a large, hemispherical bowl with radius R=0.50 m. Assume that the size of the rock is small compared to R, so that the rock can be treated as a particle, and assume that the rock slides rather than rolls. The work done by friction on the rock when it moves from point A to point B at the bottom of the bowl has magnitude 0.22 J.

(b) What is the speed of the rock as it reaches point B?

(d) Just as the rock reaches point B, what is the normal force on it due to the bottom of the bowl?
ZH4HStM.jpg

[/B]

Homework Equations

##U_i = K_f## (I believe this is correct)
##W_{other} + W_{grav} = K_2 + K_1##
##.5mv_1^2 + mgy_1 + W_{other} = .5mv_2^2 + mgy_2##
##U_{grav} = mgh##
##K = .5mv^2##
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

b. The potential energy at point A should be equal to the kinetic energy at point B.
The potential energy at point A is ##U_{grav,1} = (.20)(9.81)(.5) = .98J##
So ##.98J = .5(.20)v^2 = .1v^2##

Solving for V, I end up with approximately 3.1m/s. The problem is that in the back of the book, the answer key says 2.8m/s. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or the book is wrong (It's been wrong before).

d. At the bottom, the normal force should be equal to its weight.
##W = mg = (.20)(9.81) = 1.96 N##
So the normal force is equal to 1.96 Newtons. The back of the book says 5 Newtons, so I'm wrong here as well.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
for part b) the book is correct. What happened to the friction?

For part d) you need to think about the shape of the motion of the rock.

What is the relationship between velocity and energy?

The relationship between velocity and energy is that an object's velocity is directly proportional to its kinetic energy. This means that as an object's velocity increases, its kinetic energy will also increase.

How do you calculate an object's kinetic energy?

An object's kinetic energy can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. This equation is derived from the work-energy theorem.

Can you use energy equations to find the velocity of an object?

Yes, if you have information about the object's kinetic energy and mass, you can rearrange the kinetic energy equation to solve for velocity. The equation would be v = √(2KE/m).

What other factors can affect an object's velocity?

In addition to kinetic energy, an object's velocity can also be affected by other factors such as air resistance, friction, and external forces such as gravity or applied force.

Are there any limitations to using energy equations to find velocity?

One limitation is that the energy equations only apply to objects that are moving in a straight line and do not take into account changes in direction or rotational motion. Additionally, these equations assume that there are no external forces acting on the object.