Finding velocity with given force

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations F=ma, a=F/m, and V^2 = Vinitial^2 + 2a(x_final - x_inital) and how they were used to calculate the acceleration and velocity in a specific scenario. The person is seeking verification on their calculations before submitting their answer.
frownifdown
http://i.imgur.com/O7VpgCK.png

2. F=ma, a=F/m, V^2 = Vinitial^2 + 2a(x_final - x_inital)

3. I got an acceleration at .84 by doing a=.2/1.7, which came out to be .117647 m/s^2, which I plugged into the v equation for √.44^2+.2*.117647+.57 which gave me an answer of .572 m/s. I haven't plugged it in yet because I lose points if it is wrong so I just wanted to verify my work here.

And then I wasn't sure how to do the second one

Physics news on Phys.org
I did put in that .572 and that was the wrong answer so I'm not sure if I had the wrong equation or just did incorrect calculations.

What is velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

What is force?

Force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (strength) and direction.

What is the relationship between force and velocity?

Force and velocity are related through Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration (and therefore, its velocity).

How do you calculate velocity with a given force?

To calculate velocity with a given force, you can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration (which can be calculated using Newton's Second Law), and t is the time interval. Alternatively, you can use the equation v = √(u^2 + 2as), where s is the displacement of the object.

What are some real-life examples of finding velocity with a given force?

Some real-life examples of finding velocity with a given force include calculating the speed of a roller coaster at different points in its track, determining the velocity of a car after a collision, and calculating the speed of a ball thrown by a pitcher. These calculations can help engineers design safer amusement park rides, help investigators reconstruct car accidents, and aid athletes in improving their performance, among other practical applications.