Finding volume between two surfaces.

In summary, the volume between two surfaces is the space enclosed between two surfaces or boundaries. It can be calculated using various methods, such as finding the area of the base and multiplying it by the distance between the surfaces. Some applications of finding volume between two surfaces include engineering, architecture, physics, and chemistry. Common mistakes to avoid include confusing volume with area and forgetting to account for holes or gaps in the surfaces. The volume between two surfaces cannot be negative, as space cannot have a negative value. Any negative results indicate errors in the calculation or measurement.
bigbk92
I am having trouble finding the volume between the two surfaces. Well I did the problem and got an answer but I am not sure if I am approaching this type of problem correctly. So can you take a look at how i approached the problem and tell me if i am on the right path or if it is incorrect. Thank you in advance.

Find the volume between the two surfaces
z = x^2 + 3y^2
z = 8 - x^2 - y^2

First I set both equations equal to each other to get y =±sqrt(2 - x^2).
Finding the volume will require a double integral so this can be my y limits.
X cannot exceed sqrt(2) so i assume my x limits are ±sqrt(2)

The sum of the two functions is 2y^2 + 8. I believe this is what i should integrate. If not please tell me what i should integrate and why.

So i integrate 2y^2 + 8 with respect to y and get (2/3)y^3 + 8y. And inputting the y limits yields (4/3)*(2 - x^2)^(3/2) + 16*(2 - x^2)^(1/2).

Now i integrate that with respect to x using the computer and get
18*arcsin(sqrt(2)x/2) - (1/3)x*(x^2 - 5)*sqrt(2 - x^2) + 8x*sqrt(2 - x^2)

Putting in limits of ±sqrt(2) gets a final answer of 18*pi.

Physics news on Phys.org
bigbk92 said:
I am having trouble finding the volume between the two surfaces. Well I did the problem and got an answer but I am not sure if I am approaching this type of problem correctly. So can you take a look at how i approached the problem and tell me if i am on the right path or if it is incorrect. Thank you in advance.

Find the volume between the two surfaces
z = x^2 + 3y^2
z = 8 - x^2 - y^2

First I set both equations equal to each other to get y =±sqrt(2 - x^2).
Well, you shouldn't get that! Did you forget the "3" multiplying [itex]y^2[/itex] in the first equation? [itex]z= x^2+ 3y^2= 8- x^2- y^2[/itex] gives [itex]2x^2+ 4y^2= 8[/itex]
or [itex]x^2+ 2y^2= 4[/itex]. That's an ellipse. Solving for y, [itex]y= \pm(1/2)\sqrt{4- x^2}[/itex].
Finding the volume will require a double integral so this can be my y limits.
X cannot exceed sqrt(2) so i assume my x limits are ±sqrt(2)

The sum of the two functions is 2y^2 + 8. I believe this is what i should integrate. If not please tell me what i should integrate and why.
If the "ceiling" is given by f(x,y) and the "floor" by g(x,y) the "height" is f- g, not f+ g. Subtract, don't add! Here, the "ceiling" is [itex]f(x,y)= 8- x^2- y^2[/itex] and the "floor" is [itex]g(x,y)= x^2+ 3y^2[/itex]. The distance between them, the height, is [itex](8- x^2- y^2)- (x^2+ 3y^2)= 8- 2x^2- 4y^2[/itex].

So I integrate 2y^2 + 8 with respect to y and get (2/3)y^3 + 8y. And inputting the y limits yields (4/3)*(2 - x^2)^(3/2) + 16*(2 - x^2)^(1/2).

Now i integrate that with respect to x using the computer and get
18*arcsin(sqrt(2)x/2) - (1/3)x*(x^2 - 5)*sqrt(2 - x^2) + 8x*sqrt(2 - x^2)

Putting in limits of ±sqrt(2) gets a final answer of 18*pi.
As above, x goes from -2 to 2 and, for each x, y goes from [itex]-(1/2)\sqrt{4- x^2}[/itex] to [itex](1/2)\sqrt{4- x^2}[/itex].
[tex]\int_{x=-2}^2\int_{-(1/2)\sqrt{4- x^2}}^{(1/2)\sqrt{4- x^2}}8- 2x^2- 4y^2 dydx[/tex]

Another way to do this is to write the ellipse, at which the two paraboloids intersect, as
[tex]\frac{x^2}{4}+ \frac{y^2}{2}= 1[/tex]

Let [itex]x= 2rcos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= \sqrt{2}rsin(\theta)[/itex] so that the Jacobian is
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta} \\ \frac{\partial y}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial\theta}\end{array}\right|= \left|\begin{array}{cc}2cos(t) & -2rsin(\theta) \\ \sqrt{2}sin(\theta) & \sqrt{2}rcos(\theta) \end{array}\right|= 2\sqrt{2}r[/tex]
And the integrand is [itex]8- 2x^2- 4y^2= 8- 4r^2cos^2(\theta)- 8r^2sin^2(\theta)[/itex]. You can use the fact that [itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)[/itex] to write this as [itex]8- 4r^2(cos^2(\theta)+ sin^2(\theta))- 4r^2sin^2(\theta)= 4- 4r^2sin^2(\theta)[/itex]
so the integral would be
[tex]\int_{r=0}^1\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi} (4- 4r^2sin^2(\theta))(2\sqrt{2} r dr d\theta)[/tex]

1. What is the definition of volume between two surfaces?

The volume between two surfaces is the space enclosed between two surfaces or boundaries. It can be visualized as the amount of space that would be filled by a solid object if it was placed between the two surfaces.

2. How is the volume between two surfaces calculated?

The volume between two surfaces can be calculated using various methods, depending on the shape of the surfaces. For example, if the surfaces are parallel, the volume can be calculated by finding the area of the base and multiplying it by the distance between the surfaces. For more complex shapes, calculus methods such as integration can be used.

3. What are the applications of finding volume between two surfaces?

Finding volume between two surfaces is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has various real-world applications. It is commonly used in engineering and architecture for calculating the volume of objects and determining the amount of materials needed for construction. It is also used in physics to calculate the volume of fluids and gases, and in chemistry for determining the volume of solutions.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding volume between two surfaces?

One common mistake is to confuse volume with area. Volume is a measure of three-dimensional space, while area is a measure of two-dimensional space. It is important to pay attention to the units when calculating volume, as using the wrong units can lead to incorrect results. Another mistake is to forget to account for any holes or gaps in the surfaces when calculating volume.

5. Can the volume between two surfaces be negative?

No, the volume between two surfaces cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space, and space cannot have a negative value. If the calculation results in a negative value, it means that a mistake has been made in the calculation or the surfaces are not being measured correctly. In such cases, the calculation should be checked for errors.