1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Findings need confirmation about change of weight

1. May 14, 2017 #1
    Admin please dont delete, this is not homework nor part of any curriculum

A water tank put on scale measuring 50 Kg , inside the tank a fully submerged balloon tied with a thread to the tank bottom.

if the thread was cut, will there be a different reading on the scale (momentarily until the balloon reach the surface) ?

i believe that the forces downward are not only the mass but the water pressure at the tank bottom multiplied by the area. A balloon being submerged will cause displacement and raise water level thus total pressure of tank bottom, that can be observed during the process of submerging the balloon and until you tie it to the tank bottom, only then the buoyancy force will cancel the added pressure until that thread is cut .

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is still homework-like, therefore I moved it to our homework section.

Is that either-or, or is it a different way to say the same thing?
    Right, but the balloon also adds a different force that is relevant. The balloon is attached somewhere initially.

4. May 14, 2017 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

During the period that the ballon is rising, some water is also falling. The two masses are not the same even though the volumes are. Some accelerations are involved during the process and acceleration means force. Does this help?

5. May 15, 2017 #4
    i looked into the water acceleration in that model. the water above the balloon will accelerate downward and then comes to a halt after the balloon passes, so it will be like astronaut in ISS pushing a brick forward but then not letting it go, he wont travel in space by doing that.

6. May 16, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but so long as the balloon is accelerating up there will be more water moving down even faster.
    Think about the mass centre of the water+balloon system. Is that accelerating? If so, which way?

7. May 16, 2017 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Correct. That would be due to Conservation of Momentum. However the problem statement said..
    So it's asking what happens while the water is moving.

8. May 16, 2017 #7
    Water movement due to balloon movement is not my main research , anyway, I think the key player is water level , here's my analysis which i admit sounds odd :
    1- understanding the forces when object submerged in the tank
    If you force a 1 L volume balloon in 49 L water tank, the whole system would weigh 50 Kg , how? dont simply say it's because we are using force to force the balloon down, the balloon has no contact to the scale. but it's the displacement caused by the balloon made the water level rise and simulates an extra 1 L of water , at this point it wont matter if it's a balloon or 1000 cm3 of iron (around 8 Kg) . The extra reading will still be 1 Kg

2- Releasing the object
    When the balloon is released , water level wont change so the scale should maintain the new reading (50 Kg) , and this is the main stage that i'm investigating, it's odd part yet it is consistent with physics laws, it's the displacement effect if i may call it so.

3- object travel
    as the balloon accelerate upward, positive pressure forms on top of it and negative pressure under it increase until it maintain fixed speed, at that point , the displacement effect will be reduced to minimum or even get canceled by the balloon kinda pushing water upward with it.

please give feed back or if you can perform the experiment , would be great. sorry if i'm not using proper physics language, and take it easy with that if you going to explain something. thanks

9. May 16, 2017 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The scale will change its reading briefly when you release the balloon. It will go back to its previous value once the balloon reaches its terminal velocity.

Water height alone does not tell you everything, especially in a dynamic system.

10. May 16, 2017 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is only true if the 1L object is being held in position by an external force (whether that is holding down an object that would otherwise float or holding up an object that would otherwise sink). But in this case the balloon is tethered to the bottom of the tank, so is exerting an upward pull on the tank. As a result, the scale reading will correspond to the weight of the 49L of water, regardless of the immersed object.
    You cannot ignore the accelerations occurring inside the tank. As I suggested in post #5, consider the mass centre of the water plus balloon system. Will that accelerate when the thread is cut? If it does, there must be a net force acting on it. Gravity hasn't changed, so what has?

11. May 16, 2017 #10
    thanks a lot , i needed that confirmation before studying next step for possible application, however , the feeds i got is still 50% : 50% as Mr. Haruspex doesnt confirm it

12. May 16, 2017 #11
    water level changed , total water pressure on the tank floor changed to +50 while the balloon is affecting the tank floor by -1 , but when we cut the thread , that later is opted out and remains the +50 for certain limited period of time until the balloon reach its terminal velocity

13. May 16, 2017 #12
    now this really made my day. i'm glad i get another confirmation. and as for looking at the mass center. well, i see the empty half of the glass and you see the filled half, it's same result :) . physics is very tricky and i fooled my self many times unintentionally by dropping an element or factor, so i didnt wanna start from scratch into a new approach. any way, thank you for your support and time

Next investigation
    if we pumped air through a hole in the tank bottom , will we get higher reading ? as each air bubble is considered like the balloon. will the tank be heavier than it should be?

14. May 16, 2017 #13

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I am not confirming your view, and neither, it seems to me, is anyone else on this thread.
    The question you asked was:
    The answer to that question is that after cutting the thread the mass centre will accelerate downwards. Since gravity has not changed that means the normal force from the scale has reduced, so the reading will reduce.
    As the balloon ascends its acceleration will drop, so the reading will gradually increase. Since terminal velocity is never quite reached, it will not quite return to the original reading until the balloon reaches the surface.

(What happens then is a bit complicated. At first, the buoyant force will not have gone down much, but the drag will drop quickly, so it will start to accelerate again. But now its upward acceleration is not equal, volumetrically, to the downward acceleration of the water.)

15. May 16, 2017 #14

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I've thought of an analogy you might find easier to think about.
    Consider a box on the scale - air-filled, no water this time - with a weight hanging from the lid inside. If the thread is cut, what happens to the scale reading between then and when the weight hits the bottom?

16. May 16, 2017 #15
    the reading will drop for specific period of time then it will increase much more for a much less period of time . but this case include the weight hanged is directly affecting the scale through the box walls and the existence of the weigh inside the box has no secondary effect such as that of raising the water level. i think i'll have to study the center of mass thoroughly

17. May 16, 2017 #16

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It is completely analogous. In the original, you have air moving one way and water the other. In the box version you have air one way and the mass the other.

18. May 16, 2017 #17
    true, but in the box, if you let the mass in, hanging by your hand, the reading wont change, unlike the original

19. May 16, 2017 #18

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can see a sort-of similar experiment here. And an explanation here:

20. May 17, 2017 #19

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

But that would be applying an external force to the mass+box system, so would be different from the tethered balloon in the tank.

21. May 17, 2017 #20

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The thing to do is: identify all forces acting on the system. Then the vector sum of forces equals mass x acceleration. So when the balloon is tied to the bottom, it obviously is not accelerating. But when the string is cut, the center of mass of the system is accelerating downward. Think about a different situation. What happens when you pick up a heavy box . After you pick up the box, and the box's weight is added to the total: as you lift the box, your center of mass is accelerating upward. What does this do with the forces between your feet and the ground.
    Also, think about when you are in an elevator: when it first starts moving, and when it slows to a stop. You know the feeling. If you were standing on a scale, how would the reading change?

Last edited: May 17, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted