Finite and infinitesimal Unitary transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses unitary operators, infinitesimal transformations, and finite transformations. It is mentioned that an infinitesimal transformation on a field is generated by the generator of the corresponding symmetry group, which is an element of the Lie algebra. The question is raised whether a unitary infinitesimal operation guarantees a unitary finite transformation. The answer is no, as demonstrated by an example in the conversation. The conversation also touches on the relationship between members of a Lie group and members of the Lie algebra, and the concept of the exponential map. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of carefully considering the conditions and assumptions in order to make accurate statements about transformations.
mtak0114
Hi

I have a question regarding unitary operators:

If an infinitesimal operation (such as a rotation) is unitary does this guarantee that a finite transformation will also be unitary?

thanks

M

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, how do you go from an infinitesimal transformation to a finite transformation? You use the exponential map. An infinitesimal transformation on a field is generated by the generator of the corresponding symmetry group, which is an element of the Lie algebra of that group.

So to answer your question, you should write down in your convention an infinitesimal transformation, say that it's unitary, and then use the exponential map to make it a finite transformation. Then you should check if this expression is als unitary.

Write an infinitesimal transformation on a field phi as

[tex]
\delta\phi = \Theta \phi
[/tex]

where Theta is an element of the Lie algebra. Your assumption is that

[tex]
\Theta^{\dagger} = \Theta^{-1}
[/tex]

Now I use the exponential mapping to generate a finite transformation (formally you should take a sum over all generators, but let's keep this easy) with the convention of using an "i":

[tex]
\phi' = e^{i\Theta}\phi
[/tex]

Now calculate:

[tex]
[e^{i\Theta}]^{\dagger} = e^{-i\Theta^{\dagger}}
[/tex]

This finite transformation is unitary if

[tex]
e^{-i\Theta^{\dagger}} = e^{-i\Theta}
[/tex]

So in this case a unitary generator means a unitary group element.

Hope this helps :)

By the way, making statements about the generators when you have a group element at your disposal can be done by considering the expression

[tex]
\frac{d}{dt}e^{it\Theta}|_{t=0}
[/tex]

Because the Lie algebra is a vector space you're garanteed that [itex]e^{it\Theta}[/itex] is a group element whenever [itex]e^{i\Theta}[/itex] is.

haushofer said:
Well, how do you go from an infinitesimal transformation to a finite transformation? You use the exponential map. An infinitesimal transformation on a field is generated by the generator of the corresponding symmetry group, which is an element of the Lie algebra of that group.

So to answer your question, you should write down in your convention an infinitesimal transformation, say that it's unitary, and then use the exponential map to make it a finite transformation. Then you should check if this expression is als unitary.

Write an infinitesimal transformation on a field phi as

[tex]
\delta\phi = \Theta \phi
[/tex]

where Theta is an element of the Lie algebra. Your assumption is that

[tex]
\Theta^{\dagger} = \Theta^{-1}
[/tex]

Now I use the exponential mapping to generate a finite transformation (formally you should take a sum over all generators, but let's keep this easy) with the convention of using an "i":

[tex]
\phi' = e^{i\Theta}\phi
[/tex]

Now calculate:

[tex]
[e^{i\Theta}]^{\dagger} = e^{-i\Theta^{\dagger}}
[/tex]

This finite transformation is unitary if

[tex]
e^{-i\Theta^{\dagger}} = e^{-i\Theta}
[/tex]

So in this case a unitary generator means a unitary group element.

Hope this helps :)

[tex]
e^{-i\Theta^{\dagger}} \left( e^{-i\Theta} \right)^{-1}= e^{-i\Theta^{\dagger} + i \Theta},
[/tex]

so the condition on [itex]\Theta[/itex] needed for unitarity of [itex]e^{i \Theta}[/itex] is [itex]\Theta = \Theta^\dagger[/itex] (hermiticity), not [itex]\Theta^{\dagger} = \Theta^{-1}[/itex] (unitarity).

Hi

thanks for the replies

I guess my question is:
I have a result for a finite transformation that is in fact a CP map
to understand the problem better I calculated the generators of the group
these appear to be hermitian which I thought would imply a unitary map

does this mean that my result is wrong? or is there a theorem like
a finite map is unitary iff the corresponding infinitesimal map is unitary?

thanks

I am confused.
mtak0114 said:
Hi

If an infinitesimal operation (such as a rotation) is unitary does this guarantee that a finite transformation will also be unitary?M

An infinitesimal rotation operator (for physicists) is Hermitian, not unitary.
mtak0114 said:
I guess my question is:
I have a result for a finite transformation that is in fact a CP map
to understand the problem better I calculated the generators of the group
these appear to be hermitian which I thought would imply a unitary map

It does.
mtak0114 said:
does this mean that my result is wrong? or is there a statement like
a finite map is unitary iff the corresponding infinitesimal map is unitary?

thanks

George Jones said:
[tex]
e^{-i\Theta^{\dagger}} \left( e^{-i\Theta} \right)^{-1}= e^{-i\Theta^{\dagger} + i \Theta},
[/tex]

so the condition on [itex]\Theta[/itex] needed for unitarity of [itex]e^{i \Theta}[/itex] is [itex]\Theta = \Theta^\dagger[/itex] (hermiticity), not [itex]\Theta^{\dagger} = \Theta^{-1}[/itex] (unitarity).
Yes, you're right. I'm mixing up things. But I hope my point was clear though ;)

mtak0114 said:
Hi

If an infinitesimal operation (such as a rotation) is unitary does this guarantee that a finite transformation will also be unitary?

thanks

M

The answer is no.
As an example:
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
\cos \theta & \sin \theta + 1-\exp(\theta^2)\\
-\sin \theta+1-\exp(\theta^2) & \cos \theta
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
You can obtain the infintesimal operation by expanding to first order:
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & \delta\theta\\
-\delta\theta & 1
\end{pmatrix} = I - i\delta\theta\begin{pmatrix}
0 & i\\
-i & 0
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
The infintesimal operation is unitary - it looks just like it was generated from a hermitian generator.

It is easy to verify that the the finite operation is not unitary.

What is take home message? Many transformations can share the same tangent space at the identity. Only for lie groups does the exponential map generate the rest of the set of transformations.

It is as simple as pointing out that exp(x) is not the only function with a gradient of 1 at when x = 0.

When we're dealing with Lie groups whose members are matrices, there's a very simple way to express the relationship between members of the Lie group and members of the Lie algebra. A matrix X belongs to the Lie algebra if and only if exp(itX) belongs to the Lie group for all real numbers t. In this context, the exponential is defined as a power series.

So what's the Lie algebra of U(n)? To answer this, we must find all X such that exp(itX) is a member of U(n). Such an X must obviously be an n×n matrix, and it must satisfy

[tex]I=(e^{itX})^\dagger e^{itX}=e^{-itX^\dagger}e^{itX}[/tex]

[tex]e^{-itX}=e^{-itX^\dagger}[/tex]

Now take the derivative of both sides with respect to t and then set t=0 (or just expand in a series and match term by term). We get

[tex]-iX=-iX^\dagger[/tex]

[tex]X=X^\dagger[/tex].

Check out this book for more about this.

1. What is a finite unitary transformation?

A finite unitary transformation is a type of transformation that preserves the inner product of a vector space. In other words, the length and angle of a vector remain unchanged after the transformation. It is also known as a unitary operator.

2. What is an infinitesimal unitary transformation?

An infinitesimal unitary transformation is a type of transformation that is very small and can be thought of as a limit of a sequence of finite unitary transformations. It is often used to describe the changes in a system over a very small interval of time.

3. How are finite and infinitesimal unitary transformations related?

Finite and infinitesimal unitary transformations are closely related as the infinitesimal transformation can be seen as the limit of the finite transformation. They both have the property of preserving the inner product of a vector space.

4. What are some applications of finite and infinitesimal unitary transformations?

Finite and infinitesimal unitary transformations have various applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the evolution of quantum systems and to study symmetry and conservation laws in these systems.

5. How are finite and infinitesimal unitary transformations different from other types of transformations?

Finite and infinitesimal unitary transformations are unique in that they preserve the inner product of a vector space. This means that they do not change the length or angle of a vector. Other types of transformations, such as rotations and translations, do not necessarily have this property.