Unitary transformation of pure states to other pure states

In summary: V_{a,a^\prime}}## in terms of ##|\alpha\rangle, |\beta\rangle## and the usual operations on them. I'll leave that for you, it's not hard. it look like it is true via geometrical arguments but i have not been able to convince myself completely.Yes, it is true by geometrical arguments as well. The 2-dim. case is just the action of a rotation on the complex plane. I am sure in the case of 1 qubit system; what about multiqubit system ?The same argument holds for multiqubit systems, but of course the dimension of the subspaces will be higher. In general
m~ray
Is it true that there always exist a unitary matrix that can take a state vector of an arbitrary pure state to another arbitrary pure state ? (of course assuming same hilbert space). If true, how do we prove it ? it look like it is true via geometrical arguments but i have not been able to convince myself completely. I am sure in the case of 1 qubit system; what about multiqubit system ? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Conversely, can you find an example where the proposition is not true?

You would start your proof by defining your terms, then showing what a transformation between states would look like without assuming that the transformation is unitary. Enjoy.

Not exactly what you are asking, but related, I think. Probably the article on reachability is the closes to what you are asking about.

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0010031
Complete controllability of quantum systems
S. G. Schirmer, H. Fu, A. I. Solomon

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0102017
Complete controllability of finite-level quantum systems
H. Fu, S. G. Schirmer, A. I. Solomon

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0110171
Criteria for reachability of quantum states
S. G. Schirmer, A. I. Solomon, J. V. Leahy

Likes 1 person
Let's say you have ##\psi, \phi \in \mathcal H## with ##\lVert\psi\rVert = \lVert\phi\rVert = 1## and you want ##U\psi = \phi##. Let ##(v_\alpha)_\alpha## be an basis for ##\mathcal H##. Apply Gram-Schmidt to ##(\psi,(v_\alpha)_\alpha)## to get an ONB ##(x_\alpha)_\alpha## with ##x_0=\psi## and repeat the procedure to get an ONB ##(y_\alpha)_\alpha## with ##y_0 = \phi##. Now define ##U\sum_\alpha c_\alpha x_\alpha = \sum_\alpha c_\alpha y_\alpha##. This is clearly a surjective (for ##\sum_\alpha c_\alpha y_\alpha## in ##\mathcal H##, choose ##\sum_\alpha c_\alpha x_\alpha##) linear operator with ##U\psi = \phi## and it is also unitary because ##\left<U\sum_\alpha c_\alpha x_\alpha,U\sum_\beta d_\beta x_\beta\right> = \left<\sum_\alpha c_\alpha y_\alpha,\sum_\beta d_\beta y_\beta\right> = \sum_\alpha c_\alpha d_\alpha = \left<\sum_\alpha c_\alpha x_\alpha,\sum_\beta d_\beta x_\beta\right>## by orthogonality.

Likes 1 person
... etc. But m~ray has to do it in order for it to be properly convincing.

Simon Bridge said:
... etc. But m~ray has to do it in order for it to be properly convincing.

Well, of course it would have been better if he had done it himself, but he said that he was unable to do it. I think my proof sketch is pretty clear, so it should be convincing. (If not, don't hesitate to ask, m~ray.)

An isometric operator defined on all vectors in a Hilbert space is called a unitary operator. An isometric operator has unit (strong) norm and reverse. Hence if a,b arbitrary vectors of unit norm and U is an endomorphism of H taking a into b, then ||U|| = max ||Ua|| = max ||b|| = 1. , forall ||a|| = 1. If U is unit norm, it's isometric. If it's isometric and maximal on H, it's unitary.

m~ray said:
Is it true that there always exist a unitary matrix that can take a state vector of an arbitrary pure state to another arbitrary pure state ?
Two pure states define a 2-dim. subspace

[tex]V_{a,a^\prime} = \text{span}\{|a\rangle, |a^\prime\rangle\}[/tex]

of the full Hilbert space ##H##. So for the existence of a unitary operator ##U## with

[tex]U\,|a\rangle = |a^\prime\rangle[/tex]

it's sufficient that ##U## acts as a rotation operator on ##V_{a,a^\prime}## and as the identity on the orthogonal complement ##V_\perp## of ##V_{a,a^\prime}##.

[tex]U = u_{V_{a,a^\prime}} \otimes \text{id}_{V_\perp}[/tex]

m~ray said:
If true, how do we prove it ?
From what I said above it should become clear that it's sufficient to proof this for the 2-dim. case, i.e. for ##u_{V_{a,a^\prime}}##. And this is just linear algebra

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is a unitary transformation?

A unitary transformation is a mathematical operation that preserves the inner product and length of vectors. In other words, it maintains the overall structure and properties of a vector.

2. How does a unitary transformation affect pure states?

Unitary transformations can change the representation of a pure state, but the resulting state will still have the same probability of being measured in a particular basis.

3. Can a unitary transformation convert a pure state to a mixed state?

No, a unitary transformation can only convert a pure state to another pure state. To convert a pure state to a mixed state, a non-unitary process such as measurement or decoherence is required.

4. How is a unitary transformation different from a non-unitary transformation?

A unitary transformation preserves the inner product and length of vectors, while a non-unitary transformation does not. This means that a unitary transformation is reversible, while a non-unitary transformation is not.

5. Why are unitary transformations important in quantum mechanics?

Unitary transformations play a crucial role in quantum mechanics because they represent the fundamental operations that can be performed on quantum states. They are used to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time and to manipulate quantum states for various applications in quantum computing and communication.