Finite difference approximation for third order partials?

In summary, to perform interpolation in 3 dimensions, you need to use the derivative approximations for each variable, following the symmetrical representation. To find the third order approximation, you can apply Taylor's theorem in 1D to each variable in turn. This will give you the formula d3f/dxdydz = [f(i+1,j+1,k+1) - f(i+1,j,k+1) - f(i,j+1,k+1) + f(i-1,j-1,k+1) - f(i+1,j+1,k-1) + f(i+1,j,k-1) + f(i,j+1,k-1) - f(i-1,j-
swuster
I'm attempting to perform interpolation in 3 dimensions and have a question that hopefully someone can answer.

The derivative approximation is simple in a single direction:

df/dx(i,j,k)= [f(i+1,j,k) - f(i-1,j,k)] / 2

And I know that in the second order:

d2f/dxdy(i,j,k)= [f(i+1,j+1,k) - f(i+1,j,k) - f(i,j+1,k) + f(i-1,j-1,k)] / 4

The final item I need is the third order approximation, and I'm not sure how to scale the first two into a third variable.

d3f/dxdydz(i,j,k)= ?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
can't you just apply Taylor series? You want
[tex]
\frac{\partial^{3}f}{\partial x\partial y\partial z}
[/tex]
Right?

Yes but I don't have the function itself; I only have its value at various points i-2, i-1, i, i+1, i+2, etc.

Just apply Taylors theorem in 1D to each variable in turn.

You already have
d2f/dxdy(i,j,k) = [f(i+1,j+1,k) - f(i+1,j,k) - f(i,j+1,k) + f(i-1,j-1,k)] / 4
so you have to do the first order derivation for z, which means for indexes in short-hand
notation

[(k->k+1) - (k->k-1)]/2

By the way, congratulations for having chosen the symetrical representation of the first derivative, it is much more accurate than [(k->k+1) - ()].

So let's do it:
d3f(x,y,z)/dxdydz = {[f(i+1,j+1,k+1) - f(i+1,j,k+1) - f(i,j+1,k+1) + f(i-1,j-1,k+1)]
- [f(i+1,j+1,k-1) - f(i+1,j,k-1) - f(i,j+1,k-1) + f(i-1,j-1,k-1)]}/8 =
[f(i+1,j+1,k+1) - f(i+1,j,k+1) - f(i,j+1,k+1) + f(i-1,j-1,k+1)
- f(i+1,j+1,k-1) + f(i+1,j,k-1) + f(i,j+1,k-1) - f(i-1,j-1,k-1)]/8
That's it.

What is a finite difference approximation?

A finite difference approximation is a numerical method used in mathematics and science to approximate the values of derivatives or integrals using a finite number of data points. It involves using the values of a function at a given point and its neighboring points to estimate the value of the derivative or integral at that point.

What are third order partials?

Third order partials refer to the third order partial derivatives of a multivariable function. They represent the rate of change of the rate of change of the rate of change of the function with respect to its variables. In other words, they measure how much a function is changing in three different directions simultaneously.

Why is finite difference approximation used for third order partials?

Finite difference approximation is used for third order partials because it provides a simple and efficient way to estimate their values. Calculating third order partial derivatives analytically can be complex and time-consuming, especially for functions with multiple variables. Finite difference approximation allows for a quick and accurate estimation of these values.

What are the types of finite difference approximation methods for third order partials?

The two main types of finite difference approximation methods for third order partials are the forward difference method and the central difference method. The forward difference method uses the values of the function at a point and its neighboring points to approximate the derivative at that point. The central difference method uses the values at the points on either side of the point of interest to approximate the derivative.

What are the limitations of finite difference approximation for third order partials?

One limitation of finite difference approximation for third order partials is that it can be less accurate for functions with a high degree of nonlinearity or with discontinuities. Another limitation is that it requires a large number of data points to accurately estimate the derivatives, which can be computationally expensive. Additionally, the choice of step size in the approximation can also affect its accuracy.