1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite Difference Frequency Domain

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    Hello everybody!
    I am trying to construct the FDFD method for 3D structures. I have already constructed the general formulation and specifically I have set the complete matrix form. Due to the fact that the matrices are too sparse, and my system is out of memory, I am trying to set the problem in a dense mode.
    To be more specific I want to transform the sparse matrices into dense form and to solve the problem efficiently. I have developed the problem in fortran, so I would like to ask you if anybody knows any library, which I can use in order to achieve this transformation. I know for example that in matlab using the sparse() routine I can achieve this goal. Is there any similar routine in fortran?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I don't know about the FORTRAN end of things, but depending on what your sparse matrix looks like, I know there are techniques for dealing with them. The first, and only real one that comes to mind, is in the case of a tri-diagonal or an almost tri-diagonal matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook