Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite differences on scalar? Matrix?

1. Sep 10, 2010 #1

In a paper I have

[tex]v_{n,k} = \Delta^K ( (-1)^n n^k y_n )[/tex]

with [tex]n = K, \dots , N-1[/tex], [tex]k = 0, \dots, K[/tex] and [tex]N = 2K[/tex]

where [tex]\Delta^K[/tex] is the Kth finite difference operator.

As you can see, all [tex]v_{n,k}[/tex] consistute an [tex](N-K) \times (K+1)[/tex] matrix.

So without the [tex]\Delta[/tex]'s, each [tex]v_{n,k}[/tex] would be a scalar. I do not see how to calculate the finite difference of a scalar?!

Well, probably it is not a finite difference. But can anybody tell me what could be meant with that?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

I don't understand. You say that [itex]\Delta^K[/itex] is the "Kth finite difference operator" and ask what would [itex]v_{n, k}[/itex] be without the [itex]\Delta[/itex]? It would no longer be a finite difference!

(The finite difference of a scalar function, at some n, would be f(n+1)- f(n).)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2010
  4. Sep 11, 2010 #3

Yes, this is exactly my question! I do not understand how it is meant!

Maybe you can take a look at http://biblion.epfl.ch/EPFL/theses/2001/2369/EPFL_TH2369.pdf, page 55-56.

I again try to explain: Suppose you have a sequence [tex]y_n[/tex] consisting of N values. Now consider the expression

[tex](-1)^n P(n) y_n[/tex] where [tex]P(n)[/tex] is a polynomial of order K in the variable n. The authors argue that this term vanishes if K finite differences are applied. This yields equation 3.14-3.16 in the link above and can be written as matrix equation:

\Delta^K ((-1)^n P(n) y_n) = \sum_{k=0}^K p_k \underbrace{\Delta^K ((-1)^n n^k y_n)}_{v_{n,k}} = \mathbf{V} \cdot \mathbf{p} = 0

My question is how to calculate the matrix V. The algorithm 3.1 in the link above tells me exactly what I have asked in the original post but I do not know how to actually calculate it.

It would be easier to understand if there would be just one dimension.

But this brings me to an idea: The finite difference is the difference dependent on n, isn't it?

So for the first column I set k=0 and have the sequence [tex](-1)^n n^0 y_n[/tex] and the column are just the discrete differences of the sequence?

E.g. if [tex](-1)^n n^0 y_n = \left\{1, 4, 9, 8, 10\right\}[/tex] then the first column would be [tex]\left[3 , 5 , -1 , 2\right]^T[/tex]?

And the same for columns 1,...K?

Maybe this is the solution?

Regards, divB
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook