Time derivative of tensor expression

In summary, the time derivative of the given expression involves taking the total derivative of both sides and subtracting one from the other. It is also necessary to use the chain rule to find the remaining term, which involves the nabla operator and the delta function. It is mathematically correct to say that the time derivative of the delta function is equal to -\mathbf{\dot{R}_k \cdot \nabla} acting on it, as the delta function is independent of time. This is in the context of deGroot discussing the electric multipole moments of a stable group of particles.
gitano
I was trying to compute the time derivative of the following expression:

[tex] \mathbf{p_k} = \sum_i e_{ki}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(n+1)!} \mathbf{r_{ki}}(\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla})^n \delta(\mathbf{R_k}-\mathbf{R}) [/tex]

I am following deGroot in his Foundations of Electrodynamics. He says, "Taking the derivative [itex] \partial_0 = \partial/\partial ct [/itex]" of the above equation, one finds

[tex] \partial_0 \mathbf{p_k} + \frac{1}{c} \mathbf{\dot{R}_k \cdot \nabla p_k} - \frac{1}{c} \sum_i e_{ki} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{(n+1)!} (\mathbf{\dot{r}_{ki} r_{ki} \cdot \nabla } + n\mathbf{r_{ki}\dot{r}_{ki} \cdot \nabla})(\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla})^{n-1} \delta(\mathbf{R_k}-\mathbf{R}) = 0 [/tex]

since "the time derivative of the delta function is equal to [itex] -\mathbf{\dot{R}_k \cdot \nabla} [/itex] acting on it." By this I assume he means that the total time derivative of the delta function is 0.

Some context: deGroot is talking about a stable group of particles labeled by k. So [itex] \mathbf{R_{k}} [/itex] is the position of the center of mass of the group and the [itex] \mathbf{r_{ki}} [/itex] are the internal coordinates , which specify the positions of the constituent particles ki with respect to the stable group k. So we are dealing with the electric multipole moments of the group of particles. [itex] e_{ki} [/itex] is the charge of the ki particle.

This is my attempt (it seems above that he is taking the total derivative of both sides and subtracting one from the other):
Let's just focus on the [itex]\mathbf{r_{ki}}(\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla})^n \delta(\mathbf{R_k}-\mathbf{R}) [/itex] term. I get
[tex] \mathbf{\dot{r}_{ki}}(\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla})^n \delta(\mathbf{R_k}-\mathbf{R}) + \mathbf{r_{ki}}\frac{d}{dt}[(\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla})^n\delta(\mathbf{R_k}-\mathbf{R})][/tex]

So the remaining part is to find [tex]\mathbf{r_{ki}}\frac{d}{dt}[(\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla})^n\delta(\mathbf{R_k}-\mathbf{R})][/tex] which according to deGroot should be [tex] (n\mathbf{r_{ki}\dot{r}_{ki} \cdot \nabla})(\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla})^{n-1} \delta(\mathbf{R_k}-\mathbf{R}) [/tex]

This would usually make sense using the chain rule, but I don't immediately see how you can use the chain rule since the nabla operator is inside. The chain rule would give
[tex] \frac{d}{dt}[(\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla})^n] = n (\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla})^{n-1} \frac{d}{dt}(\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla}) [/tex]

Is it really mathematically correct to say that [itex] \frac{d}{dt}(\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla}) = (\mathbf{\dot{r}_{ki}\cdot \nabla}) [/itex]? Is it because you have to think of the operator being applied to the delta function first before taking the derivative and since the delta function is independent of time it makes no difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
gitano said:
Is it really mathematically correct to say that ddt(rki⋅∇)=(r˙ki⋅∇) \frac{d}{dt}(\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla}) = (\mathbf{\dot{r}_{ki}\cdot \nabla}) ? Is it because you have to think of the operator being applied to the delta function first before taking the derivative and since the delta function is independent of time it makes no difference?
I think your guess as to the reason may be correct.

That is, perhaps it is not the case that ##
\frac{d}{dt}(\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla}) = (\mathbf{\dot{r}_{ki}\cdot \nabla})##

but it is the case that
$$
\frac{d}{dt}\left[(\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla})g(\mathbf{x})\right] = (\mathbf{\dot{r}_{ki}\cdot \nabla})g(\mathbf{x})$$
where ##g## is a function only of the variable ##\textbf{x}##, which does not involve ##t##.

Let's see:

$$\frac{d}{dt}\left[(\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot \nabla})g(\mathbf{x})\right] =
\frac{d}{dt}\left[\mathbf{r_{ki}\cdot (\nabla}g(\mathbf{x}))\right] =
\frac{d}{dt}[\mathbf{r_{ki}]\cdot (\nabla}g(\mathbf{x}))
+
\mathbf{r_{ki}}\cdot \frac{d}{dt}[\nabla g(\mathbf{x})]
$$

$$
=
\mathbf{\dot{r}_{ki}\cdot (\nabla}g(\mathbf{x}))
+
\mathbf{r_{ki}}\cdot \mathbf{0}
=
\mathbf{\dot{r}_{ki}\cdot (\nabla}g(\mathbf{x})) =
(\mathbf{\dot{r}_{ki}\cdot \nabla})g(\mathbf{x})
$$

So it looks OK.

1. What is the concept of the time derivative of tensor expression?

The time derivative of a tensor expression is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a tensor quantity with respect to time. It is used to describe the change in a tensor quantity over time, such as the velocity or acceleration of a moving object.

2. How is the time derivative of tensor expression calculated?

The time derivative of a tensor expression is calculated by taking the partial derivative of each component of the tensor with respect to time. This can be represented using the notation of a dot above the tensor symbol, such as ̆t for a vector or ̆w for a second-order tensor.

3. What is the physical significance of the time derivative of tensor expression?

The physical significance of the time derivative of a tensor expression is that it represents the change in a tensor quantity over time, and therefore can be used to describe the motion or behavior of a physical system. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model and understand the dynamics of systems.

4. Are there any important properties of the time derivative of tensor expression?

Yes, there are several important properties of the time derivative of tensor expression. One of the most notable is the chain rule, which states that the time derivative of a composite tensor expression is equal to the sum of the individual time derivatives of each component tensor.

5. How is the time derivative of tensor expression used in real-world applications?

The time derivative of tensor expression is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It is particularly useful in fields such as fluid dynamics, structural analysis, and image processing, where it can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems.