1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite Fields and ring homomorphisms HELP!

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assuming the mapping Z --> F defined by n --> n * 1F = 1F + ... + 1F (n times) is a ring homomorphism, show that its kernel is of the form pZ, for some prime number p. Therefore infer that F contains a copy of the finite field Z/pZ.

Also prove now that F is a finite dim vector space over Z/pZ; if this dim. is denoted d, then show that F has exactly p^d elements.

I know that the kernel of a ring homomorphism is defined as ker(f) = {a in Z : f(a) = 0}
    but I am still having trouble exactly where to go from this...it appears that the only element of Z s.t. f(a) = 0, is 0 which would map to 0 * 1F = 0. But how is this of the form pZ, for some prime p??

Any help or push in the right direction would be great...thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2
    If [tex]R[/tex] and [tex]S[/tex] are rings, the kernel of a ring homomorphism [tex]\phi: R \to S[/tex] is an ideal of [tex]R[/tex]. What are the ideals of [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex]?

Of those ideals, only some of them can be the kernel of a homomorphism [tex]\mu: \mathbb{Z} \to F[/tex] given by [tex]\mu(n) = n \cdot 1_F[/tex]. The others are incompatible with one of your hypotheses.

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    Okay I get that the all of the ideals of Z are of the form mZ for some integer m, but im still not sure how n*1F implies that the kernel must be a prime ideal of Z?

5. Jan 13, 2010 #4
    The important thing here is that [tex]F[/tex] is a field (or at least an integral domain). If the kernel of [tex]\mu[/tex] is [tex](m) = m\mathbb{Z}[/tex], and [tex]m = rs[/tex] is composite, think about the equation [tex]\mu(m) = \mu(r)\mu(s)[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook