1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Finite series and product of Gammas

1. Apr 28, 2017 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

In reviewing some calculations, I've arrived at the series:

##S(d)=-\frac 1 {d-1}+\frac 1 2 \frac{d-2}{d-3}-\frac 1 8 \frac{(d-2)(d-4)}{d-5}+\frac 1 {48} \frac{(d-2)(d-4)(d-6)}{d-7}+\dots ##

Its an infinite series but because I'm interested in its values for even ##d##s, its actually a finite series at each evaluation. Its values are:

## \begin{array}{c|ccccc} d \ \ \ &2 \ \ \ &4 \ \ \ &6 \ \ \ &8 \ \ \ &10 \ \ \ &12 \\\hline S(d) \ \ \ &-1 \ \ \ &\frac 2 3 \ \ \ &-\frac 8 {15} \ \ \ &\frac{16}{35} \ \ \ &-\frac{128}{315} \ \ \ &\frac{256}{693}\end{array} ##

But the interesting fact is that the expression ## G(d)=\frac{\Gamma(\frac d 2)\Gamma(\frac{1-d}2)}{2 \sqrt \pi} ## has the exact same values for at least the above values of ##d##. So it seems that I should be able to prove that ##S(d)=G(d)##. But I have no idea how to do it. At first I tried to somehow write the series in terms of the Hypergeometric function, but that is both impossible and useless. So, any ideas?

EDIT: Another evidence is that both ##S(d)## and ##G(d)## are singular for odd ##d##s.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2017 #2

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Just for all who like to solve this riddle like me, the statement is equivalent to:
    $$
    - \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k!} \cdot \frac{1}{2n-(2k+1)}\cdot \prod_{i=1}^{k}(n-i) = \frac{n!(n-1)!}{2(2n)!}\cdot (-4)^n = (-1)^n \cdot \frac{2^{2n}}{(2n)\binom{2n}{n}}
    $$

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  4. Apr 28, 2017 #3

mfb

2017 Award

The denominators also appear in the series expansion of ##(1-x)^{-3/2}##.

OEIS sequence. We even get the numerators there with this interesting comment:

5. Apr 28, 2017 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

It should be ...(n-2i)...

Anyway, are you guys saying that this is a famous unsolved problem?

6. Apr 28, 2017 #5

mfb

2017 Award

Can you give more terms?
    Who is saying that?

7. Apr 28, 2017 #6

fresh_42

2017 Award

No. The factor ##2## has been canceled by setting ##d=2n##. (It's also missing in ##2 \cdot 4 \cdot \ldots \cdot 2k##)
    I took the formulas from the German Wiki page of the Gamma function.

8. Apr 28, 2017 #7

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Never mind, he clarified.

I just got that impression, specially because of your post since I'm not quite sure how you could find that information without previous knowledge of the problem.

9. Apr 28, 2017 #8

mfb

2017 Award

I searched for the first denominators on OEIS, then calculated more using fresh's formula to find the right sequence, and confirmed it via the given formulas there.

10. Apr 29, 2017 #9

fresh_42

2017 Award

I don't know, whether it's already obvious to you, but in any case and for the records: with an induction argument (or simply a recursion on the right hand side), it boils down to show
    $$ - \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k!} \cdot \frac{1}{d-(2k+1)}\cdot \prod_{i=1}^{k}(\frac{d}{2}-i) = (-1)^{\frac{d}{2}} \cdot \frac{2}{3} \cdot \frac{4}{5} \cdot \frac{6}{7} \cdot \ldots \cdot \frac{d-2}{d-1}
    $$
    which itself can very likely be shown by another induction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted