Fire tube boiler-literature review

In summary, a fire tube boiler is a type of boiler that uses hot gases generated by burning fuel in a furnace to heat water in the boiler tubes. The heated water is converted into steam and circulated through the tubes for heating or power generation. The hot gases transfer their heat energy to the water, and the steam is separated and distributed to different parts of the building. Fire tube boilers have advantages such as compact size, low cost, and high heat transfer rate, but they also have limitations, including lower efficiency and unsuitability for high-pressure steam applications. The efficiency of a fire tube boiler is measured by combustion efficiency and fuel-to-steam efficiency.
wendyv007
hello!
i am designing a firetube boiler for my design project. could u suggest me some website where i could get interesting and relevant literature review on fire tube boiler.

Thanking u in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try searching some online journals. Here is one article I found with a quick search of "Fire Tube Boilers".

Title: Experimental investigation of various turbulator inserts in gas-heated channels
Journal: Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, Volume 28, Issue 8, October 2004, Pages 877-886
Authors: Dmitri Neshumayev, Arvo Ots, Jaan Laid and Toomas Tiikma

for your help!

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out. It's great to hear that you are working on a fire tube boiler design project. As for your request for literature review on fire tube boilers, I would suggest checking out the following websites:

1. American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) - This organization is a great resource for technical literature on various engineering topics, including fire tube boilers. You can browse through their publications and journals, or search for specific articles on their website.

2. International Association for the Properties of Water and Steam (IAPWS) - This association has a section dedicated to steam boilers, which includes information on fire tube boilers. They have a collection of technical papers and reports that you may find useful for your project.

3. Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (BPVC) - This code is published by ASME and contains standards for the design, construction, and operation of boilers and pressure vessels. You can find relevant information on fire tube boilers in this code.

Additionally, you can also search for academic articles and research papers on fire tube boilers through databases such as Google Scholar, IEEE Xplore, and ScienceDirect.

I hope these resources will be helpful in your literature review. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is a fire tube boiler?

A fire tube boiler is a type of boiler that uses hot gases generated by burning fuel in a furnace to heat water in the boiler tubes. The heated water then rises into a steam drum, where it is converted into steam. The steam is then circulated through the boiler's tubes and used for various heating or power generation purposes.

2. How does a fire tube boiler work?

In a fire tube boiler, the hot gases from the furnace pass through the boiler tubes surrounded by water. As the hot gases flow through the tubes, they transfer their heat energy to the water and generate steam. The steam rises into the steam drum, where it is separated from the water, and then distributed to different parts of the building or used for power generation.

3. What are the advantages of a fire tube boiler?

Some advantages of fire tube boilers include their compact size, low initial cost, and ability to handle high steam pressure. They are also relatively easy to install and operate compared to other types of boilers. Additionally, fire tube boilers have a high heat transfer rate, making them efficient in converting fuel into steam.

4. What are the limitations of a fire tube boiler?

One limitation of a fire tube boiler is its lower overall efficiency compared to other types of boilers, such as water tube boilers. This is due to the longer flue gas path, which results in more heat energy being lost through the boiler's exterior. Fire tube boilers are also not suitable for high-pressure steam applications.

5. How is the efficiency of a fire tube boiler measured?

The efficiency of a fire tube boiler is typically measured using the combustion efficiency and the fuel-to-steam efficiency. Combustion efficiency measures how well the fuel is being burned in the furnace, while fuel-to-steam efficiency measures the amount of fuel that is converted into steam. Together, these two efficiencies provide an overall measure of the boiler's performance.