1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Area Moment and Centroidal Co-ordinates

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1

app

1.The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a quarter circle.The centre of the circle of which the quarter circle is a part,is at the origin (0,0).Find the centroidal co-ordinates for the quarter circle.The equation of the circle for which the quarter circle is a part,is x2 +y2 = R2. where R is radius.

2.Relevant equations
    M(y)= integral of (x dA), where dA is an elemental area at a distance x from Y axis.M(y) is first moment of inertia about y axis. X(c)= M(y)/A, where A is total area of quarter circle,and X(c) is the centroidal x co-ordinate.

3.The attempt at a solution
    Well,i am in engineering first year and we have just started first area moment,centrodal co-ordinates,second area moment etc.So,i tried my best to understand the concepts.I did one where there is a rectangle with height h and base b.Thats easy.If we first choose a vertical strip of elementary area dA and width dx.Now,M(y)= integral of (x dA).Putting h dx in place of dA,we get an integrable equation.The limits of intigration is from 0 to b.Then,X(c)= M(y)/A.Putting the value of M(y) and A=bh,we get X(c).Similarly by choosing a horizontal strip we can get M(x),which is the first area moment about x axis.I tried to do the same for the quarter circle but I am not being able to get an integrable form.

4.Conclusion
    Well,I have tried to show that I have attempted the problem and I do study.But since I'm not a genius,I need your help.Please explain the problem,because I may be a bit dumb,although I got very good marks in my school final exams.That time also,i had posted some questions on physics forums.Thanks a lot for everything...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start by expressing M(y) (your integral x*dA) as an explicit integral. It will be a double integral over x and y. What will be appropriate limits of integration?

4. Aug 8, 2007 #3

app

I'm sorry,but that is what i'm not being able to do.could u please explain it?The appropraite limits of integration will be from 0 to r,where r is radius of quarter circle.

5. Aug 8, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, let's integrate dx from 0 to R. Inside of that integral we have to integrate dy. To get the y range, picture a thin vertical rectangle at some value of x, stretching from the x-axis to the quarter circle (since that's the interior of the region of integration). Got it? So now if I said the y limits are from 0 (the x axis) to sqrt(R^2-x^2) (the circle), would you believe me?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?